454 Exhaust recomendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
So I recently discovered that the manifolds on my 454 are cracked and produce a wonderful ticking noise at higher rpms. I'd like to replace them with a legit set of headers and not just another set of manifolds that are going to crack again. does anyone have suggestions for headers that will fit and gaskets to use?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Found this:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9926

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I've always thought a set of Doug Thorley's tri-y headers would be great if you can justify the costs. Better for mid range than long tube headers and they fit easier since you're just running two pipes down by the frame. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dte-303yc/overview/year/1981/make/chevrolet/model/c20

You could get more traditional long tube headers for cheaper, from what I understand most the headers intended for these trucks fit fine. (i'm not actually sure what brand my headers are, got them on craigslist with my engine block). I'm sure someone else will give you some specifics on brands and such. If you go long tube I suggest sticking with 1 3/4 in primaries, the 2 in stuff will kill low end torque. And if you want as much ground clearance as possible chevelle headers are the way to go from what I've heard, though they may take some massaging to fit, and I think you have to modify or change your tranny cross member.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I put a set of Doug's Try-wy headers on my dually and it sure made a difference in torque on the bottom end and they are stout, well worth the money IMO...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've always thought a set of Doug Thorley's tri-y headers would be great if you can justify the costs. Better for mid range than long tube headers and they fit easier since you're just running two pipes down by the frame. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dte-303yc/overview/year/1981/make/chevrolet/model/c20

You could get more traditional long tube headers for cheaper, from what I understand most the headers intended for these trucks fit fine. (i'm not actually sure what brand my headers are, got them on craigslist with my engine block). I'm sure someone else will give you some specifics on brands and such. If you go long tube I suggest sticking with 1 3/4 in primaries, the 2 in stuff will kill low end torque. And if you want as much ground clearance as possible chevelle headers are the way to go from what I've heard, though they may take some massaging to fit, and I think you have to modify or change your tranny cross member.
Only massaging I had to do was knot hair the frame. Now mine is 4x4. If this is relevant let me know I will post pics if not .......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76