4 inch lift steering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamoChevyK10

Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350
Put a 4 inch lift on my 79 k10, and now my steering is bottoming out early when I turn to the left. I bought an complete 4 inch kit from rough country, so yes I did put the new extended steering arm on. I did have to replace the tie rod (think that's wat its called) that attaches to that steering arm and steering gearbox because it was worn out. I adjusted awhile back but still didn't help. It seems to be turning good to the right, just bottoms out early to the left. So if yall have any tips on how to get this thing straightened out I would really appreciate it.

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
Put a 4 inch lift on my 79 k10, and now my steering is bottoming out early when I turn to the left. I bought an complete 4 inch kit from rough country, so yes I did put the new extended steering arm on. I did have to replace the tie rod (think that's wat its called) that attaches to that steering arm and steering gearbox because it was worn out. I adjusted awhile back but still didn't help. It seems to be turning good to the right, just bottoms out early to the left. So if yall have any tips on how to get this thing straightened out I would really appreciate it.

You adjusted the gear box? Are any of the steering components hitting anything or in a bind?

You replaced the arm that bolts to the steering gear box and bolts into your drag link, (The piman arm)?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
crank all the way to left put in park look for point of contact

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The drag link (the ends you replaced) is probably misadjusted a full turn of the steering wheel. Point the wheels straight, unhook the drag link, center up the steering box, then adjust the drag link to match. Then you can fine tune the steering wheel center with the drag link after you have driven the truck.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The drag link (the ends you replaced) is probably misadjusted a full turn of the steering wheel. Point the wheels straight, unhook the drag link, center up the steering box, then adjust the drag link to match. Then you can fine tune the steering wheel center with the drag link after you have driven the truck.

this ^^

CamoChevyK10

Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350
yea I know its not adjusted right. Nothing is hitting nowhere. Just wanted some advise on how to get it straight. Cuz at first it was bottoming out early to right, I adjusted it an then it was bottoming out early to left.... musta went to far. Lol so I left it alone cuz I had to much going on at the time.
But thanks yall, it'll be a few days before I get around to it. Don't drive the old truck to often... Gotta cavalier now that gets around 32 mpg. Lol that's way better than the 8 or 9 mpg I get in the stepside. But ima let yall know if that took care of it. Thanks, much appreciated

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
yea I know its not adjusted right. Nothing is hitting nowhere. Just wanted some advise on how to get it straight. Cuz at first it was bottoming out early to right, I adjusted it an then it was bottoming out early to left.... musta went to far. Lol so I left it alone cuz I had to much going on at the time.
But thanks yall, it'll be a few days before I get around to it. Don't drive the old truck to often... Gotta cavalier now that gets around 32 mpg. Lol that's way better than the 8 or 9 mpg I get in the stepside. But ima let yall know if that took care of it. Thanks, much appreciated

Lol we sound alot alike, I have a 76 that gets 6, so i drive my cavalier which gets 41. Mine a 2L 5spd.

CamoChevyK10

Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350
Yea haha, cant beat 41 Mpg. Lol done saved tons of $$$ since I bought the cavalier. They're tough lil cars. Lol

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
One of these days the clutch is just gonna stop biting XD, mine is a burnout MONSTER. and it hooks up pretty good to, i like chirping the tires between gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising