355 tuning questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollinon35s

Reaction score
First Name
todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate your input. I'm not biased by any means and don't want to come off that way about the carb. I was just sharing my experience with the two I have had.

Ultimately I think my question got answered, and that is that nobody saw any distinct problems with the components used in my build. The general concern everyone shared was with the carburation on this motor so that is what I will address first and see how things go from there. I'm thinking a custom built quadrajet for my application with an electric choke to keep things dependable. If anyone else has any ideas to help dial this motor in feel free to post them and I appreciate all the helpful tips and knowledge found here. Thanks again

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you are getting a Qjet built for your setup, get it from Sean Murphy at SMI. He'll know exactly how to set it up.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All the Eddy carbs I've had are only happy in about a 15-20* temp window. When the weather changes a week later, you need to mess with it again. Well, all but one carb. The too-small Eddy on my crew cab's 454 always seems to run well, it just chokes badly in the upper rpm range.

The best setup for an Edelbrock is an air-gap manifold with the original thermac air cleaner setup. Then you can keep the Edelbrock right in the temperature window.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I run HOLLEY carbs and have said on THIS msb that 1406 carbs lose tune.
Why HOLLEY over q-jet? Mileage is not, and never will be, my concern. That like keeping mileage low on something shiny so it will hold resale. Couldn't care less, I bought it to drive. When those tires go bald - I'll get some more.
HOLLEY over q-jet for simplicity and tune-ability.
Less parts. More options. More horsepower. Easier to dial in. I like options.

Plus they hold tune.
I have zero experience with an AFB but they go on Chryslers!

Good luck!

*edit*
Is there a functional vacuum resevior ?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I run HOLLEY carbs and have said on THIS msb that 1406 carbs lose tune.
Why HOLLEY over q-jet? Mileage is not, and never will be, my concern. That like keeping mileage low on something shiny so it will hold resale. Couldn't care less, I bought it to drive. When those tires go bald - I'll get some more.
HOLLEY over q-jet for simplicity and tune-ability.
Less parts. More options. More horsepower. Easier to dial in. I like options.

Plus they hold tune.
I have zero experience with an AFB but they go on Chryslers!

Good luck!

*edit*
Is there a functional vacuum resevior ?

Dude, you sound like a bloody Holley sales rep. Can it already. A lot of folks will argue that the Q-Jet is superior once tuned correctly. Of course, other folks will argue Eddies are superior when tuned correctly. Are ya getting my drift yet? It wouldn't matter what brand of carb the OP (or anybody) slaps on their engine, it all boils down to dialing in the carb for the application.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew