350 tbi engine removal swap 350 carb crate engine in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
Hey guys plan on taking engine out of my 87 k5 blazer in leaning on putting a 350 stage 2 crate in from west coast engines with 600 holly carb what are steps on switching to carb and is it worth it?. Or keeping it tbi. If I do switch it to carb im putting normal 350 crate no tbi hook up completely to carb.

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
you will have to either remove the fuel pump or buy a regulator to reduce it to the 6 psi needed for the carb instead of the 9-14 psi. You will need a hei distributor and adapt the wiring harness to the distributor. A crate motor is a nice way to go Id recommend a vortec with roller cam, it cost more but has potential for more power and less hassle with oil types.

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
im doing a 350 crate ethier way. what would do carb or keep tbi ? i seen i gotta do something tv cable kick down linkage. few other ect.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
There is no way in hell I would switch from TBI to a 4 bbl. Are you kidding ne?
I sit around and WISH I had TBI.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Be yankin mine out of the Burb in a few months..

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It a pretty easy change. Use all the senders from old engine to keep wiring simple. Basically all you need for dizzy is already there. TV cable is no problem. Holly has a bracket that bolts to the left rear carb stud. I used a fuel pressure regulator with a bypass return line and kept the intank pump .

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
What bracket is it what it called to I have to adjust it certain way because I heard if you dont adjust it correctly blow up tranny?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You need the TV cable bracket that mounts on the rear carb studs, and the geometry bracket for whatever carb you have, that bolts on the side where the throttle cable hooks up, Summit or any hot rod shop has them.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's a good one..

spanky1205

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
you will have to either remove the fuel pump or buy a regulator to reduce it to the 6 psi needed for the carb instead of the 9-14 psi. You will need a hei distributor and adapt the wiring harness to the distributor. A crate motor is a nice way to go Id recommend a vortec with roller cam, it cost more but has potential for more power and less hassle with oil types.

How are you planning to get fuel to your new carb? If you plan to use the stock fuel pump then you will have to use a regulator as indicated above, however if you are using a block mounted pump there is no need to pull the fuel pump out of the tank. You can suck right through it with no problems. I cannot say for sure that a frame mounted pump will pull through the tank pump but I doubt you would have any problems if you chose that route. FWIW I bought the 20 gallon kit in the link below and installed it, then bought a standard block mounted fuel pump from the local parts store and have had no problems.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6322254&cc=1300868&jsn=478

The HEI distributor is not very difficult either. Find your TBI coil and then look for the pink 10 gauge wire that runs to it, that is powered by the key. That is the wire you run to your new HEI distributor. You will need to run a wire to power the electric choke on your new carb if it is so equiped.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
im doing a 350 crate ethier way. what would do carb or keep tbi ? i seen i gotta do something tv cable kick down linkage. few other ect.

I personally know very little about carbs and dont know of any competent local tuners to learn from so i would do efi as there are tuners everywhere and you can learn to do it yourself (I also like remote start) but thats how i like to do things.

bman1985

Reaction score
First Name
Brendon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I'd be on the fence too. If you're not going crazy high performance and don't plan to make changes to the motor after the install I'd probably lean towards keeping tbi.

Tuning the black box efi is probably something best left to a pro. So every time you need a tune you gotta pay someone. But if you're only installing it and leaving it that way you only need it tuned once.

The efi will start and run well in all weather conditons, get better emissions and be better on fuel.

Carbs are good if you're doing frequent mods because they're easy to tune at home. Also the carb would have an advantage if you want to run a big cam and/or spin the motor to high rpms because tbi wasn't designed to do either. But for normal truck use tbi is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS