3.5" exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Too big? I have 2 10 series flows and 20 feet of 3.5" pipe. It's EMT. I have used this stuff for my last 2 projects. I love the sound it produces. It's heavy wall and galvanized. Engine is a 10.5:1 roller cammed 306 due. 590 lift 407 BBC with a port matched 2.0 intake and 750hp Holley with a 1" open spacer. Exhaust is about 6' long. Looking for opinions here. I've seen the Engine Masters episode when they tested different size exhaust.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd say it's too big, unless all the power is made up top.. IMHO..

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Single or dual? Single... too big but usable. Dual... waaay to big. Others opinions may vary.

Adam G

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Too big? I have 2 10 series flows and 20 feet of 3.5" pipe. It's EMT. I have used this stuff for my last 2 projects. I love the sound it produces. It's heavy wall and galvanized. Engine is a 10.5:1 roller cammed 306 due. 590 lift 407 BBC with a port matched 2.0 intake and 750hp Holley with a 1" open spacer. Exhaust is about 6' long. Looking for opinions here. I've seen the Engine Masters episode when they tested different size exhaust.
I would go with 2.5" exhaust pipe plus galvanized pipe is toxic if you weld on it or heat it to a certain temp I believe.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That would murder your low end.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'd say it's too big, unless all the power is made up top.. IMHO..

Yes with the cam that's in it the power comes in up top. It is primarily for the mud pit,with light street use. Very light. I have 3" coming so I will decide when I get it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I would go with 2.5" exhaust pipe plus galvanized pipe is toxic if you weld on it or heat it to a certain temp I believe.

I know about galvanized pipe. I have used it on a few projects. It all gets ground at the weld seams and heat cycled out side then painted with VHT.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes with the cam that's in it the power comes in up top. It is primarily for the mud pit,with light street use. Very light. I have 3" coming so I will decide when I get it.
Well, you still need torque, just my opinion but if it were me if you do mandrel bends I'd go 2 1/2", if you have to do crush bends then I'd go 3", still think 3 1/2" is a tad big..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Well, you still need torque, just my opinion but if it were me if you do mandrel bends I'd go 2 1/2", if you have to do crush bends then I'd go 3", still think 3 1/2" is a tad big..

I was thinking the same thing. Just needed to be pushed over that edge. The normal stuff I use is actually 2.750 ID. Thanks for your insight.:cheers:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There have been many articles in recent years that prove back pressure is not needed to make torque. Needing back pressure is basically an old wife's tale it seems.

Going off of that, 3.5 inch exhaust is unnecessary, but it won't hurt power.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There have been many articles in recent years that prove back pressure is not needed to make torque. Needing back pressure is basically an old wife's tale it seems.

Going off of that, 3.5 inch exhaust is unnecessary, but it won't hurt power.

I completely agree. I think people use the term back pressure when they should use scavenging. When people think smaller exhaust diameter they think they are adding back pressure. In reality, what they are doing is slowing down the exhaust pulses, and consecutive exhaust pulses begin to pull the next pulse along. The pulses slow down because the cross-sectional area is reduced. With a huge diameter you are giving the exhaust the freedom to escape. The problem becomes it escapes to quickly and does not pull the next pulse with it. When you get to higher rpm's, exhaust pulses are coming more rapidly and thus the scavenging effect happens at a higher rpm range. With smaller diameter exhaust the scavenging effect is optimal at a lower rpm. At least that is my "theory".

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I completely agree. I think people use the term back pressure when they should use scavenging. When people think smaller exhaust diameter they think they are adding back pressure. In reality, what they are doing is slowing down the exhaust pulses, and consecutive exhaust pulses begin to pull the next pulse along. The pulses slow down because the cross-sectional area is reduced. With a huge diameter you are giving the exhaust the freedom to escape. The problem becomes it escapes to quickly and does not pull the next pulse with it. When you get to higher rpm's, exhaust pulses are coming more rapidly and thus the scavenging effect happens at a higher rpm range. With smaller diameter exhaust the scavenging effect is optimal at a lower rpm. At least that is my "theory".

I also think the header design has a MUCH bigger impact on scavenging than the exhaust itself. But I'm no scientist either.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I absolutely agree. I think the first four or five feet of the system is the most important, and the majority of that is headers, assuming long tube. In theory as exhaust gas cools it compresses, so as it travels down the system a smaller diameter exhaust is technically needed.

In a perfect world one would measure the exhaust gas volume, temperature, and exit speed of an engine after it is built. From that they could tune the primary diameter and lengths and merge points in relation to firing order to perfect scavenging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64