3/4 ton suburbans came with what axle ratios?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D
Truck Year
1987, 1988
Truck Model
R20 3+3, V20 Suburban
Engine Size
'bout tree fiddy
I've been thinking of doing a 4wd conversion on my 2wd crew cab.

For my needs an 8-lug 10 bolt will work fine, so I have been keeping an eye out for a cheap 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban.

My truck is 4.10 and I'd prefer not to waste time and money on a regear if I can find the right donor to begin with.

What axles ratios were available in these?

3.73 and 4.10?

Which is most common?

Will the semi float 14bolts have 3.73s and the full float 14bolts have 4.10s?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
3.73 was the default selection, while 4.10 was selected usually when optioning for towing.

Half Assed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D
Truck Year
1987, 1988
Truck Model
R20 3+3, V20 Suburban
Engine Size
'bout tree fiddy
thanks

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
You might be best served to find an axle with with flat top knuckles so you can run crossover steering. I know that some dana 44s came with flat tops. Not sure if any of the 10 bolts came with flat tops from the factory, but you can swap flat tops onto a 10 bolt. This will allow you to keep your existing 2wd steering box. Otherwise you will need to replace your steering box with a 4wd box to run the stock GM push/pull steering setup. I currently have a 10 bolt with flat top knuckles and crossover steering on my 4wd converted suburban.

Something else to consider (since we're on the subject of 4wd conversion) is the engine crossmember/cradle. There is no factory crossmember (that I am aware of) that will work with the 2wd motor mount brackets (I am talking about the plates that bolt to the frame rails). You will likely need to fabricate a crossmember to work with your existing 2wd motor mount brackets, OR swap in a set of 4wd mount brackets to work with a factory style 4wd engine crossmember. Either way, there will be fabrication work involved, as the 4wd motor mount brackets don't fit on the 2wd frame (at least they did not on my suburban). I had to cut the 4wd brackets down to fit inside the frame channel, and weld a new top plate onto them for the upper bolts. I ended up using the beefy engine crossmember from Offroad Design.

Regardless of which way you go, it is a good bit of work. Hope this helps.

Half Assed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D
Truck Year
1987, 1988
Truck Model
R20 3+3, V20 Suburban
Engine Size
'bout tree fiddy
I am aware of the flat top knuckle/crossover steering and engine crossmember, but thanks. I was inquiring about suburbans because they are easier to find around these parts than a pickup.

I was just looking at a '75 k20 for cheap on CL tonight, but I was too late to buy it. That would have been a great donor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76