2001 BMW X5 for my wife

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

We picked up a X5 for my wife yesterday, had to tow it home state inspection was expired. I’m replacing the window regulator on the passenger side rear door, repaired a dent between the drivers door and front finder, man the metal is so thin I can almost push the dents out with my hands, ( not like the square body's). The other thing I will a have to do is clean the plastic headlights, they are awful, faded and yellow, anyone have any suggestions. Also I have ordered new rotors and brake shoes for all four corners. At 83,000 miles on a 2001 not bad shape it’s has the 4.4 liter engine.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Wet sand the headlights with 800-1000 and then hit it with some rough cut compound and voia la... Or just get the Meguiar's headlight restore kit. That has everything you need to wake those lights up. That's if they are not to far gone but will look better int he end regardless.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for the information, have a great day :boti:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FQMY3Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On my previous VW/Audi cars I had used sandpaper then wet sand paper then a Meguires speedball (foam ball on a drill) polish kit and it would look good for about a year then start turning not quite so good. Then it was just going back over quickly with the polish and the speedball.

On my Touareg I went a different approach based on information from guys at work and ordered the kit from Amazon above. The 3M kit made it easy to sand the headlights with a drill. Then wetsanding was easy with the drill also. Then instead of polishing a long time you just take the UV protectant wipe (think of a wet wipe) and wipe slowly over the headlight. Then flip the wipe over and do the other headlight. Wait 10-15 minutes and open the second wipe. Do the same thing. Done.

Having done both methods I have to say I like the 3M kit a LOT better. Easier, comes with everything (except the drill) and is supposed to last longer because it helps protect the plastic from more UV damage with the clearcoat. What did it come with? A glove to protect your hand from the UV clear coat, the clear coat, the sanding discs, and masking tape for your paint.

Congrats on the X5. I was looking at those for a while but went with the Touareg instead just because of I'm very familiar with VW/Audi and have most of the tools including a full computer for diagnosis and changes.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
solve the issue once and for all.. wet sand them down till they are perfect, take them to a body shop and tell them to clear coat them with with just a hint of black paint in the clear.. The paint hides the sanding scratches and the clear will prevent them from oxidizing again. If they dont add the paint you will see the sand scratches, I will post a pic of my DD with it done.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I went ahead and bought some new lights, installed them today. Next project, looks like someone went crazy on the hood of the X5 with a buffer and went through the clear coat, my wife asked me today what if we had the hood wrapped with a carbon fiber wrap, anyone done anything like this? Give me your thoughts, or I should I just sand it down and shoot some paint at it, anything would look better than it is now. Trying to load a picture of the headlights, maybe in a few minutes.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Okay finally you should be able to see the clear coat and the new headlights

Forum statistics