1988 350 V8 engine rotation ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTWard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Silverado
Engine Size
350 Gasoline
I'm getting stupid in my old age, but I'm looking to get a new fan clutch and I need to know what direction the engine turns. Using the fan as an indicator, it would appear the engine turns counterclockwise if sitting in the drivers seat looking forward. The leading edges of the fan pull air in from the radiator that way. Is this the right way to determine the engines rotation ? Thank you !

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The engine itself rotates clockwise while standing in front of the vehicle looking at it. This is why high power engines twist the front passenger side into the air more then the drivers side. The fan direction can be changed (usually done if you have a serpentine belt setup) ie. Reverse direction water pumps and fans.

So yes, while sitting in the vehicle the engine crank and other internal components spin counter clockwise.

JTWard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Silverado
Engine Size
350 Gasoline
Thank you! I thought that looking at the fan, it turned counterclockwise. I need to get a Fan clutch, and many listed by Rockauto.com mention they are reverse spin ? Thank you !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76