1987 No Start No Fuel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcfd470

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/10
Engine Size
I am working on a 1987 chevy 2wd short bed with a 350 in it. I had it running just fine and about a week ago I picked it up from the paint shop it sat for about 3 months and now it will not start. I have tried about everything that I know and I could find on the net and it still does nothing. It will run if I put gas down the throttle body the fuel pump will not come on and the injectors will not do anything. First I checked the fuses and I had the ECMB blown so I changed it and nothing. Next I thought it was the relay so I changed it nothing. I put power to the jumper wire near the relay and the fuel pumps work to each tank when switched. With the key on I have power to the orange wire but nothing to the green wire on the relay. Next I thought it could be ignition control module so I changed it nothing. Next pick up coil so I changed the whole distributor nothing. Next I tried a oil pressure switch(the one next to the oil filter) nothing. I also checked and replaced the fusible links off of the starter and nothing. It between all of this I have checked all of my grounds and they are OK and I checked for power to the injectors and they have power when the key is turned on red and white wire. I haven’t done anything with the ECM yet but I was going to get one and try it out but with the luck that I am having it won’t work. I need any help I can get. I also disconnected the harness and re connected it. The only thing I can find other than it not starting is that the 3amp cranking fuse has no power to either side with key on/off or cranking. And last but probably not least my check engine light does not come on I was going to try to check codes and nothing. Now I am thinking ground again????

Thanks
Bill

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Does the check engine light come on during the bulb test? If the bulb is good, sounds like the ECM has lost a power source. IIRC, there's a fuse under the hood somewhere (besides the fusible links) that supplies power to the ECM. GM cars have them, pretty sure the trucks do too. If it were light out still, I'd go look at mine.

dcfd470

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/10
Engine Size
The engine light is good it has no power. As for another fuse that would explain it but I haven't seen it or remember seeing one. There is one more fusible link on the firewall from a terminal block I haven't change that one yet. Both sides of the block has power one of the wires is going to the heater/blower that one does not have a fusible link it is coming off going to passengers side. There are 2 on the drivers side and one of them has the link.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What I'm thinking of is a weatherpack style plug that holds a regular blade style fuse. It clips into a cap that has a single screw mounting tab on it.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You sure the fuel pump is not turning on? Cause I've had the wires to the fuel injectors on a '87 short out and that caused the Blazer not to start or run...

dcfd470

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/10
Engine Size
Yes I am sure because when I hook power to the test lead on the relay you can hear it and that is the only time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71