1986 gmc suburban k2500 350 sbc wiring harnesses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
Hey guys, I have an 86 suburban as mentioned above, and it looks like the previous owners wired up the headlights and highbeams together, which has given me some difficulties with the headlights staying on.

After playing around with the switch, I figured out the whole dimmer situation, so I have gauge lights again lol but I can’t seem to get the headlights to turn on only the running lights.

Before when I had this happen, I jiggled the highbeams switch with the turn signals on the steering column and they went right back on, but it’s not working this time.

I also noticed some corrosion when I was tracing the wires, and it looks like there’s a bunch of corrosion where the harnesses plug into the firewall- my guess is it’s the headlights and main engine control harness plugging in there because I’m tracing the second set of wires back behind the motor

Should I just go ahead and replace the wiring under the hood or is that going to be a big project?

Also, any suggestions for where to buy the headlight wiring harness, and the main wiring harness if I need to do that?

Some of the kits I saw online come with what looks like a new fuse panel that it connects to on the inside firewall so I’m just trying to figure out what I all need to replace and how much time I’m getting into with this project

Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
Hey guys, just in case anyone was wondering about this my issue turned out to be the highbeam low beam dimmer switch.

When diagnosing the electrical, I had running lights and rear lights along with turn signals, but I noticed that when I would hit the highbeams on the steering column, they would not click. After doing some research, I found in another forum that someone replaced the dimmer switch, and this solved the problem which it also did for me.

The switch itself was about 30 bucks at O’Reillys with a lifetime warranty, and I only needed to drop the steering column to access the mounting point which was all of two bolts, but they weren’t the easiest to get to.

Now I have both high and low beams instead of continuous highbeams so that’s definitely a bonus lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef