1983 K10 saddle tank replacement with in frame tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csmill83

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I currently have bad saddle tanks .looking to replace with a single between the rails tank. I can find tank for 68-72 but none for the squarebody. Am I missing something? my stepside is a short bed k10

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Lots of good information Here on putting a blazer tank in a pickup.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Welcome to the site and as @legopnuematic states, there's plenty of info for doing a Sub/K5 tank on these trucks. I didn't buy a kit but used a K5 tank and straps along with building my on mount when I built my '55 truck a few years back. It's not that difficult.

HS

GH0ST

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.0 LS
How do you guys do the fuel filler on a step side with a blazer tank? Currently doing my first ls swap (17yo) and almost done with engine bay wiring. Once I’m done with that I’ll move on to the fuel side of things but want to have an idea before I start moving stuff around. Thanks

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There are a few options. Blazer tank, suburban tank, or a Boyds unit which is a very nice unit and doesn't need a bunch of messing about to install where the first two options will need some crossmembers pulled/moved.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How do you guys do the fuel filler on a step side with a blazer tank? Currently doing my first ls swap (17yo) and almost done with engine bay wiring. Once I’m done with that I’ll move on to the fuel side of things but want to have an idea before I start moving stuff around. Thanks
My suggestion would be through the bed floor on a stepside. You may be able to run a hose all the way up to the filler though. On my project I brought in a LS Fab tail light filler setup but I am using a fleetside bed.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
If you filled in the marker lights, you might could swap the fenders from side to side to put the filler in the rear lol

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
My suggestion would be through the bed floor on a stepside. You may be able to run a hose all the way up to the filler though. On my project I brought in a LS Fab tail light filler setup but I am using a fleetside bed.
Boy, they sure are proud of that setup... $850 is wild

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Boy, they sure are proud of that setup... $850 is wild
Quality cost money…. The blazer tank I’m using from TanksInc has a price tag around the 7’s. Luckily I got it for a smoking deal in the summit outlet. I think I’m in it 2 or less and it came with the fuel pump.

If I was in the market at this moment I would go with the Boyd’s. If I had to out a price on my time it would have been cheaper.

Post #7 here has a top view of the blazer tank install from Tanks Inc.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Quality cost money…. The blazer tank I’m using from TanksInc has a price tag around the 7’s. Luckily I got it for a smoking deal in the summit outlet. I think I’m in it 2 or less and it came with the fuel pump.

If I was in the market at this moment I would go with the Boyd’s. If I had to out a price on my time it would have been cheaper.

Post #7 here has a top view of the blazer tank install from Tanks Inc.
My setup looks a lot like yours, except I bought the 31 Gallon Blazer tank with sending unit, crossmember, straps, filler neck, and all stock sheetmetal components locally for $40. If anything fails or needs replacement.. I can just go into any parts store anywhere and buy an OEM 87-91 Blazer part and move on.

The boyds would be a good option if you are building a show car or something. I couldn't do the 19 gallon tank... 31 already feels like a stretch.

There's a thread on here somewhere from a few years ago that a member made one of those behind the light setups pretty easily but I can't seem to find it. I know there are several, but the one I'm thinking of was a red truck and it was burried about halfway through his build thread.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I get it, we all have different ways of going about it and the results are generally the same. The current problem with your tank is it’s a fixed turned neck tank forcing you to go to the passenger side with a possible ability to flip it around and go drivers. There is a thread/ vid here somewhere where they ran the hose to the normal spot with a long hose. The only problem I saw with it was it was visible in the wheel well but it was a good solution. There are also a few vids moving the fuel door on the bedside. If you have the tools and skills this is a good option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04