1977 c30 cab and chassis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Just picked up a 77 c30 cab and chassis for $400 and a few hundred miles. I think it only has 65xxx on it, was definitely a construction truck. The brake pedal looks less than 165xxx so I believe it hasn’t rolled over. Trip went great no problems, now I’ve got this ugly yellow turd.

No motor, no trans, quite a bit of stuff is missing but it has a perfect hood and some good parts. I mostly got it for the frame and rear axle for that price, the fenders are ok but meh.

There’s some stuff I see that I don’t like, the frame is good other than the ass end where someone torched off the back chunk of the frame behind the leaf spring hangers(really ****** I might add), so I’ll have to address that, but wasn’t the previous owner. Although the previous owner did torch the trans tunnel cover to get the trans out so that’s cool, the radio spot in the dash is also hacked to hell. Doors are kind of a mess, the top half of the cab is really nice though. Didn’t come with wheels or tires and they took the flatbed off.

I have to look over the cab really good still to see what I’m working with and if I want to save the cab or not. I definitely want to fix the frame at the rear which I don’t think will be too bad. And the cab seems saveable from what I’ve seen so far, I do see some stuff goin on pretty close to the firewall though. I might find a clean 80’s cab and swap it, not sure yet.

Basically I’m looking for some info on the cab and chassis trucks. As in like suspension differences, frame differences, is a more heavier duty rear axle standard? Things like that, “standard” equipment on a cab and chassis compared to a regular c30.

The guy said the spring packs are shorter than normal c30’s idk though. Just looking for random info like that.

Will be sharing lots of pictures soon and some updates and plans for it. Basic plan is a work truck/tow pig, I want to be able to haul whatever I need to on my own time when I need it. Simple build, small lift, max 35’s, flatbed, heavy duty front bumper, 12v and Eaton 6 speed or nv5600 and np205 someday in the decently far future. Want to go with like an olive green color and black flatbed. Not gonna be a show truck by any means but want it to look good and mean.

These are pics from the ad I found it on, I’ll get better ones myself pretty soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Doin a 4wd swap as well. Only way to get a k30 for less than 4000 around here

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
It should have 56" long springs in either an 8/1 or 9/1 set up. I looked at SD Truck Springs and the 8/1 is the same for my K30 SRW. This truck will have the narrower spring hangers like mine. If I recall, the chassis cab has a 14 bolt rear vs the Dana 70. It should have the 3.5" wide rear brake shoes/drums. I'd be interested to find out if your drums are closer to the spring than mine.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A cab&chassis truck has the drums much closer to the springs. Changing a wheel cylinder or even bleeding the brakes can be a challenge due to the lack of room.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Just picked up a 77 c30 cab and chassis for $400 and a few hundred miles. I think it only has 65xxx on it, was definitely a construction truck. The brake pedal looks less than 165xxx so I believe it hasn’t rolled over. Trip went great no problems, now I’ve got this ugly yellow turd.

No motor, no trans, quite a bit of stuff is missing but it has a perfect hood and some good parts. I mostly got it for the frame and rear axle for that price, the fenders are ok but meh.

There’s some stuff I see that I don’t like, the frame is good other than the ass end where someone torched off the back chunk of the frame behind the leaf spring hangers(really ****** I might add), so I’ll have to address that, but wasn’t the previous owner. Although the previous owner did torch the trans tunnel cover to get the trans out so that’s cool, the radio spot in the dash is also hacked to hell. Doors are kind of a mess, the top half of the cab is really nice though. Didn’t come with wheels or tires and they took the flatbed off.

I have to look over the cab really good still to see what I’m working with and if I want to save the cab or not. I definitely want to fix the frame at the rear which I don’t think will be too bad. And the cab seems saveable from what I’ve seen so far, I do see some stuff goin on pretty close to the firewall though. I might find a clean 80’s cab and swap it, not sure yet.

Basically I’m looking for some info on the cab and chassis trucks. As in like suspension differences, frame differences, is a more heavier duty rear axle standard? Things like that, “standard” equipment on a cab and chassis compared to a regular c30.

The guy said the spring packs are shorter than normal c30’s idk though. Just looking for random info like that.

Will be sharing lots of pictures soon and some updates and plans for it. Basic plan is a work truck/tow pig, I want to be able to haul whatever I need to on my own time when I need it. Simple build, small lift, max 35’s, flatbed, heavy duty front bumper, 12v and Eaton 6 speed or nv5600 and np205 someday in the decently far future. Want to go with like an olive green color and black flatbed. Not gonna be a show truck by any means but want it to look good and mean.

These are pics from the ad I found it on, I’ll get better ones myself pretty soon.

Are you going to be using those extra headlight bezels????

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Hmmm sounds like fun lol. I’ll have to get some measurements soon

highdesertrange