#1408 Edlebrock Carburetor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Alright, so my truck has been having issues as of lately. It wants to either idle too high or idle too low and just shut off on me. We haven't isolated the problem just yet, as we're going to replace the spark plugs before we go over anything drastically.

Anyways, my carburetor is a model #1408, which I can't find any information on ANYWHERE. As if it doesn't even exist. But we've had it tuned several times, and it'll be all well and good but then after a while it'll go back to sputtering and being a real bitch whenever you come to a stop or make a sharp turn. If you guys could give me some insight on this particular carburetor, I'd be highly thankfully. Because if it's not the spark plugs, I might be looking to see what the hell is wrong with this one OR just get a new carburetor. Feel free to post your hate comments on Edlebrock or whatever, as well, and suggest whatever you'd care to suggest.

Thanks, guys.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Ditch the peice of **** and get a Q-jet or holley and be done with it...

My .02 :lol: :rofl:

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
I was so hoping I'd have money to get new cowboy boots. :(

But considering Holley isn't as expensive as Demons, I may just go with a Holley. And I've actually got two Q-Jets in my toolbox that need to be rebuilt, but I'm far too lazy to do that there. And God only knows how many pieces they're messing.

Anyways, considering as I may hop on a Holley soon. Post your suggestions on which series I should take a look at.

EDIT: Should probably add that I do have an Edlebrock intake too. :/

Last edited:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Ummm, im not sure what all out there nowadays, my dad has raised me around older holleys.

But a truck avenger would be nice, vacume secondaries.
Or Holley sells a remanufactured q-jet, thats actually whats on my truck now.

Or if your not looking for mpg and just power, Get a 650 thats mechanical secondaries.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Guess I'll just have to see how changing the spark plugs work out and then I'll start to look into it some more. I'm definitely looking for MPG. I like power and all, but my wallet can't afford a daily driver with terrible mileage. :/ Maybe one day, though.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Guess I'll just have to see how changing the spark plugs work out and then I'll start to look into it some more. I'm definitely looking for MPG. I like power and all, but my wallet can't afford a daily driver with terrible mileage. :/ Maybe one day, though.

Eric, I know how you feel about the gas milage, and also being 17, i can relate to limited funds. Go to your local junkyard, and pull a Qjet off a vehicle they just got in that RUNS. Even if it needs a kit, its NOT that hard to put one in. Try and save your money for your boots and but a 20-40$ carb and put a 20$ kit in it.
I can REALLY relate about gas milage, Whatever your getting cant be near mine. I pull about 6 out of it. 8 on a good day. Your probably around 12-16.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Are you sure is a 1408? I have a 1406 on mine currently an it is the best carb I've ever had. They are really easy to tune if you have a vacuum gauge. I set mine up years ago an haven't touched it sense....

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look at the sparking plugs, if visually they look OK, then save that twenty five bucks, use it for the Q-jet carb kit.
If the plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor have been recently changed then, I would think that they are OK and the carb is too fault, if the ignition components have a lot of miles on them, then it might be time to change them out.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Look at the sparking plugs, if visually they look OK, then save that twenty five bucks, use it for the Q-jet carb kit.
If the plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor have been recently changed then, I would think that they are OK and the carb is too fault, if the ignition components have a lot of miles on them, then it might be time to change them out.

That's what I'm leaning more toward. The spark plugs do have some age on them, so they're due for a change. And I wouldn't mind having a vacuum gauge and learning how to use it.

@Bluex; Yes, I believe it says 1408 on the front of the carb, but that was from memory, really. I've found bits and pieces of information, like that they discontinued them 15 years ago and such. But I don't know, I'll give it another look tomorrow whenever I get the new spark plugs in.

EDIT: It actually is the 1406. It looked like an 8. I wasn't too sure from when I noticed the number yesterday, but as soon as I woke up, I went to go take a look. Also, it is fairly easy to tune, that's why I'm thinking it's not the carb.. :/ Not really sure what's going on. Only time will tell, gentlemen.

Last edited:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
If it's dying on turns, it sounds like it might be a float issue...

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
If it's dying on turns, it sounds like it might be a float issue...

Ya or maybe a clogged filter? Do you have the book that came with it? If not I think you can get it off edelbrocks site. It tells you how to set it up in there, might help some...

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Ya or maybe a clogged filter? Do you have the book that came with it? If not I think you can get it off edelbrocks site. It tells you how to set it up in there, might help some...

We're going to check the filter sometime later today, we've been busy all day cutting grass and mess. And I was figuring it was the float too from when I read the Edlebrock handbook.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darrel