10 to 12 Bolt Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SHOTROD81

Reaction score
First Name
DH
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Posted this under another topic/thread, but thought putting it here might get a few more responses. Going to look at a 12 bolt this weekend to replace the 10 bolt in my 81 C10 and was wondering if there is anything specific I should look or listen for when trying it out (it's currently in a running 87 Suburban.) It has an Eaton posi with about 55K on the rebuild. Also, would this be a even swap, or would I need to make any modifications for it to fit? My current setup is a mismatched mess, a 2.56 with a mini-spool, coupled to a 2800 stall, and a somewhat radical 372. I don't feel I have the patience to replace the gears/carrier/etc in my current setup so I figured replacing the entire rear would be easier, at least for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
And use new U-bolts..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And do yourself a favor don't use the chinsy junk U bolts use good 5/8" bolts not the ones from your local parts stores. Although more expensive check for a local spring shop.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My current setup is a mismatched mess, a 2.56 with a mini-spool, coupled to a 2800 stall, and a somewhat radical 372.
Now there's a high performance setup. :)

Assuming it received minimal abuse and a proper rebuild, your "new" 12-bolt should last forever, unless your truck uses slicks. I once added a posi carrier to the 12-bolt under a 69 C10 with approx 150K miles on it, and the gears still looked like new.

Another plus for the 12-bolt is it may have wider rear brake shoes than your 10-bolt.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Take a paint strainer with you, when you pop the cover off let the gear oil run through the strainer and look for metal. Listen for excessive backlash. If the ring gear has more than 1/64" movement before the pinion moves it will need adjustment (shimmed). Inspect the pinion teeth, If they look "knifed" to an edge with no bunt surface at the outer edge, it is worn beyond its usefulness. Look for gear oil seeping out of the axle seals. They're easy to replace but may give you some negotiation on price if they're bad. Same with pinion seal, look for leaks. Grab the pinion yoke and try to pull it out/push in. If there is any movement it may be a bad axle to buy. The pinion bearings are likely toast, seal will be bad, backlash will be off and mesh pattern will suck.

Last edited:

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
And do yourself a favor don't use the chinsy junk U bolts use good 5/8" bolts not the ones from your local parts stores. Although more expensive check for a local spring shop.

Spicer makes a good strong ubolt and its still affordable and widely available on Amazon for those that want to shop from their couch and wait for their delivery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk