10 bolt rear help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
When I dug in my 10 bolt rear I took the axle shafts out, so the spyder gears and side gears were out. Now I have it all back together with no gear oil in it yet. But when I jack up the axle and go to move the wheel it goes really hard until you get it moving then once its moving it goes easily. When the tire is off I have to take a hammer handle or something put it between two studs and push or pull pretty hard then once you break it loose it goes easily and you can turn it by hand. It does not sound like anything is binding or rubbing. You guys got any suggestions on things I could check? I'm positive it didn't do this before I ripped it open.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Put some oil in it.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sounds like you forgot something with the spiders/sides. Did you get the cup washers back on the spiders? Did you get the crosspin and retaining bolt installed right? Be SURE to use red threadlocker on the crosspin bolt! Did you have the differential out of the axle? If so did you get the shims reinstalled the way they came out? Did you mess with the pinion at all? If the pinion bearing preload is too tight you can have this condition. If the differential shims got mixed up, and the mesh pattern is too tight you can have this condition. And if the cup washers were left out from the spiders, or the side gear washers were left out, they can bind a little and cause it. Lastly, if you left out the crosspin bolt, and you have the cover on, you might not be able to see that the crosspin is slipping out, and when you force the wheel to turn it is being shoved back in place, grinding against the axle housing. Any of these situations will make that axle short-lived.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
Sounds like you forgot something with the spiders/sides. Did you get the cup washers back on the spiders? Did you get the crosspin and retaining bolt installed right? Be SURE to use red threadlocker on the crosspin bolt! Did you have the differential out of the axle? If so did you get the shims reinstalled the way they came out? Did you mess with the pinion at all? If the pinion bearing preload is too tight you can have this condition. If the differential shims got mixed up, and the mesh pattern is too tight you can have this condition. And if the cup washers were left out from the spiders, or the side gear washers were left out, they can bind a little and cause it. Lastly, if you left out the crosspin bolt, and you have the cover on, you might not be able to see that the crosspin is slipping out, and when you force the wheel to turn it is being shoved back in place, grinding against the axle housing. Any of these situations will make that axle short-lived.

All I had out was the spyders and sides, I took the cover off and the pin is all good, maybe it does this because I'm testing this with only one wheel off the ground, but it pushes and seems fine...

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
so you are only doing it with one wheel off the ground and I assume has brakes on it too?

brakes can be too tight.

My old mans is hard to push as well, but that's when it's in gear, in neutral maybe easier.

try to jack it up under the middle to raise both wheels off, support it on stands and try to turn it.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
so you are only doing it with one wheel off the ground and I assume has brakes on it too?

brakes can be too tight.

My old mans is hard to push as well, but that's when it's in gear, in neutral maybe easier.

try to jack it up under the middle to raise both wheels off, support it on stands and try to turn it.

No brakes or anything just tires on axle shafts, I will jack up both sides but It'll be a bit before I get around to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogueakula