Year of the Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper75x

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 stepside
Engine Size
Hi,
I have a 1983 chassis w/motor, bed, etc. But one of the previous owners swapped the cab with a newer one. Apparently he was going to build it but life happened. Almost all the internal lights/gauges do not work and there are a ton of disconnected wires. It originally had AC and cruise, but he removed most of the AC components from the engine bay and a bunch of vacuum lines on the carb are capped off - kinda looks like he removed the EGR system as well.

So, how do I determine what year of cab it is so I can get the correct wiring diagram and sort out all the connections? I am going to need some new gauges, interior lights, hook up the left/right fuel tank switch, etc.

Thanks guys,
viper

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Pics? Did the PO remove the VIN tag from the dash? Is there an SPID sheet in the glovebox? Any truck after 79-ish should have the VIN tag on the drivers side dash

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Read the vin.
73-80 cabs will have a plate on the drivers door jam, 81-87 will have it on the dash. And you can check the glovebox spec sheet if it hasn't been worn away.
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Read the vin.
73-80 cabs will have a plate on the drivers door jam, 81-87 will have it on the dash. And you can check the glovebox spec sheet if it hasn't been worn away.
79 and 80 are on the dash, not the door jamb.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
79 and 80 are on the dash, not the door jamb.
This is correct. 79-80 will be on the dash, but will be the 13 digit VIN. 81- later will be the 17 Digit vin and also on the dash

Viper75x

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 stepside
Engine Size
Cool. thanks guys, I'll check it out tonight.

So i went out on break...the cab has been inspected and re-VINned to match the chassis. and the chassis is a 1983. so the door jamb and dash have the same VIN. i forgot to check the glove box.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I doubt there’s much difference between 84 (you said newer than 83) and likely 87 (because far less reg cabs produced after 87 and most all work trucks). Is it worth just starting over with a new harness?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi,
I have a 1983 chassis w/motor, bed, etc. But one of the previous owners swapped the cab with a newer one. Apparently he was going to build it but life happened. Almost all the internal lights/gauges do not work and there are a ton of disconnected wires. It originally had AC and cruise, but he removed most of the AC components from the engine bay and a bunch of vacuum lines on the carb are capped off - kinda looks like he removed the EGR system as well.

So, how do I determine what year of cab it is so I can get the correct wiring diagram and sort out all the connections? I am going to need some new gauges, interior lights, hook up the left/right fuel tank switch, etc.

Thanks guys,
viper
Look up the vin#?

Viper75x

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 stepside
Engine Size
Right, the VIN is 1983. The glove box decal has been defaced and is not readable.

@Grit dog: I might have to. looking at the wiring diagrams the colors of the wires don't seem to match all that well. It shows white wires but I found no white wires...

So...I will probably end up needing to get a whole new cluster assembly. It looks like a hole what cut in the circuit to make room for the mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Also, I am not sure the current circuit was made for the plastic cluster frame.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Right, the VIN is 1983. The glove box decal has been defaced and is not readable.

@Grit dog: I might have to. looking at the wiring diagrams the colors of the wires don't seem to match all that well. It shows white wires but I found no white wires...

So...I will probably end up needing to get a whole new cluster assembly. It looks like a hole what cut in the circuit to make room for the mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Also, I am not sure the current circuit was made for the plastic cluster frame.
the clusters usually have a plastic outside/ base parts. the circuit sits on them. they dont short the things because not conductive on their own.

78 has plastic so yours would too

heres a 1980 plate. 13 digits like when things were better.

on trucks with the riveted tags , rememebr that the OEM ones were not regular. this one on door jamb was put back on. you CAN get the rare ones to match OEM but its not common to care enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK