Yeah my posts are too long, but... this truck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ladder80

Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The first time I was in this truck was before I can remember it just always existed as far as I knew, it was my grandfathers truck, and the only one I ever knew him to own.

The last time it was on the road as a daily driver was in 2001. I was the last passenger it had in it during that period. It was running "top notch" and if he was going anywhere, it was in this truck and he was in the drivers seat, hence why I was the passenger on his last drive.

It was then parked in the same spot at my grandmothers house from 2001-2012, where despite my regular attempts to aquire it, it sat undriven and deterioriating. When my father loaded it up on a trailer and took it to his house it was not even started, just trailered and parked again.

About 2 years ago my father had someone replace most of the fuel system, they replaced, belts, hoses, the battery etc. and as you would expect from these trucks it started up. He couldn't have driven it far, because the tires on it had a 2000 date marking on them, and they were dry rot inside and out, basically he moved it up near his house.

Last week, I got some new tires put on it, once again cleaned or replaced most of the fuel system, replaced the belts, changed all the filters and fluids, plugs etc, and once again it fired back up.

SO while the winshield sticker says 21 in big bold numbers, I hoped the po-po wouldn't notice it was for February of 2001, and I decided to take it on it's maiden voyage after it's long winters nap...

This reliable thing... I was just going to get some gas, next thing I know I had somehow made it 180 miles all the way to the driveway of my house!

Obviously I've been practicing on other vehicles awaiting this project to be mine, but this will be my first attempt at a full restoration. I'll need some help from you as this is my first trip to the squarbody world.

The next few posts are going to be me doing as much before documentation as I can, detailing the uniqueness/options of this truck that I may want to preserve in the build out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ladder80

Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome and nice truck. Looks like it will clean up real good!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
:welcome:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

You got the old school inspection sticker. Be a while since I had one of those on my vehicle. Lol

Welcome from Texas nice square ya got there.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And if there was ever a good looking candidate for a "patina" job, this truck looks perfect!
Redo the interior, clean up the engine bay, slap some wide white steelies on it......I can see it already!

Ladder80

Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
And if there was ever a good looking candidate for a "patina" job, this truck looks perfect!
Redo the interior, clean up the engine bay, slap some wide white steelies on it......I can see it already!

I love the look of those patina finishes, but is that something that I'll forever have to screw with and re-spray or re-oil forever? Or is that something I can clear coat and not have to worry about any more than a standard paint job?

86 SCOTTSDALE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Armand
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome from Mass, nice solid lookin truck. ENJOY IT.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I love the look of those patina finishes, but is that something that I'll forever have to screw with and re-spray or re-oil forever? Or is that something I can clear coat and not have to worry about any more than a standard paint job?
I'm not expert on patina, but you hit on the 2 primary methods of preserving it. Personally, I'd use a flat or matte clear coat.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
My opinion is that the old gal is worthy of a paint job, but...

Your opinion - or finances- may dictate otherwise.

Only thing I see that may be problematic is after market ac, and I mean that strictly from a finding parts standpoint.

Cool truck!

:waytogo:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Great story and great truck. Got the 250 in it, not fast but reliable from what I've heard. Looking forward to seeing your new build thread.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My truck looked a lot like that when I started. I had a lot more dents, and a couple holes to fix though.

If you keep that patina, you will want to rub it down with boiled linseed oil. I think most people reapply it once or twice a year.

If you sand it down, your going to be amazed at how much sandpaper it takes to get through that surface rust. I went through half a gallon of muriatic acid (that I diluted) and a full gallon of ospho too.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish