WTH Are These Wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mack_Murray

Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban V15
Engine Size
Hello all. I’m currently working on a hack job 1987 suburban. I just recently did some work on the wiring mess this guy created. But I noticed a few odd balls that I couldn’t figure out. Anyone have a clue what these may go to?
https://imgur.com/gallery/8upETqR

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hello all. I’m currently working on a hack job 1987 suburban. I just recently did some work on the wiring mess this guy created. But I noticed a few odd balls that I couldn’t figure out. Anyone have a clue what these may go to?
https://imgur.com/gallery/8upETqR

Any time I see a BLK/WHT pair go under the carpet, through the TC shifter and then down through the floor, I assume they are associated with the shifter backlighting and 4WD indicator lamp.

That ORN/WHT pair is generally supplying the dome lighting circuit.

Those other two cut wires IDK (I'm color deficient so the colors don't jump out at me). They might have something to do with the TCC control circuit.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Black/wht are seatbelt latch wires which are tied to your seat belt reminder buzzer. The orange/wht should be your dome light hot and ground whoch are tied to both your headlight switch and door jamb switches.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If they are wires that the PO (previous owner) installed, they may have been for an electric brake controller. Typically the wire used from the controller back to the trailer plug is blue. Molded black and white wires are used on the trailer, but if the PO had this B/W two wire, it could be used to feed the trailer plug.

Mack_Murray

Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban V15
Engine Size
I appreciate all the input everyone.
Anyone have any idea what the other set was for the ones coming from the transfer case? I still have the lighting on the dash when I put it in 4x4 so it has to be something else.

NicBop03

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1988, 1990, 1987, 1973
Truck Model
K5 Blazer, R1500 Suburban, V10 Suburban, C30 Pickup
Engine Size
5.7L 350ci
Could they be the back lighting for the actual floor shifter? I recently swapped a twin sticked 205 into my k5. It had a 208 and only after removing the 208 floor shifter did I find out it had a backlight in it and 2 wires were supposedto go to the park light switch

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Those other two wires (yellow and red) look to be non-OEM to me. There should only be 3 wires going through the floor under the shifter and they should be white, grey, and black. I have a thread on what those wires are and where they go.

Could be brake controller related as Turbo said, my vote is some sort of VSS wire for a electric speedo. Maybe it was modified at some point to bypass a broken drive gear in the tcase tail shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1