Worn Out Posi? Any way to make it work again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I had always assumed that my 1974 GMC C1500 had an open rear end with either 4:10 or 3:73 rear gears, but wasn't sure since I could never seem to find the stamped identification number (until now)
You must be registered for see images attach

Now it seems that I actually have a 3:55 12 bolt Posi.

Massive surprise to me, since it doesn't really like the interstate much, but that could be due to a ****** worn out motor.

Also I have never seen it really be a posi, but now that I think about it, it has acted like a posi on occasion.

Anyways, is there any way of rejuvenating it without rebuilding?

Like lucas stop slip in a transmission?

I'd really like to have a posi for the winter.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If you have the G80 govern lock, then the little fly wheel weights can get gummed up and stuck. This is noticeable when only one side locks the rear when spinning, and the other side does not. Also the small paw that will catch when the weights move can break off.

The clutches do not require special oil and don't usually wear out as they only lock when needed. If this differential has been locked hard, too many times, it will tear itself apart. The tabs on the clutch discs can tear themselves off too.

Since you were planning to remove the cover, jack at least one wheel and spin the differential so you can inspect the governor.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Id vote to yank the cover and check to see what shes got. Then youll know for sure what guts are in it and for sure what gears. No more guessing. Btw while your at it make that a you tube vid for your channel lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito