Wiring nightmare!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick Prater

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I recently purchased a 1979 chevy k10. It has a 90s gmc automatic steering column in it but truck is manual. Here are some of my issues. The turn signals don’t work. The right signal on dash turns on when i push the brakes. Doesn’t blink, just illuminates. When I hit the brakes the marker lights come on as well. The truck has a mid 80s front clip. The dash lights will only come on if the switch is in just the right spot. Can anyone please help me figure this out? Even if I can just get a new harness somewhere?

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You've got a host of problems. I would start with checking/cleaning all grounds and bulb sockets. I know any time I've had the turn signal indicator lights light up in the dash on cars I've owned its always been a bad ground.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Behind left side of cluster, near top of parking brake, battery to core support, engine to firewall, frame to engine

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Make sure all the bulbs are the correct ones. If someone shoved a single filament bulb where a dual filament should be it can cause the turn signal indicator to light with the park lamps on. Push and pull the hazard switch a couple times, sometimes that can correct funky turn signal issues. Get a wiring diagram for both the 79 and whatever year the front clip is. Make sure the bulkhead connector pinout location is the same. Good luck, I hate trying to fix other people’s “repairs”

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL