Wire coming out of rear shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hello. I have an 86 k10 that has one electric wire coming out of each rear shock absorber going forward towards the cab. Anyone know what this does? Google has no idea what I'm talking about. Thanks appreciate it

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Ohhhhh it is an air line lol. I forgot that was a thing for shocks. Interesting I'll have to see if I can find where they go to, thanks. One more quick question, any idea if something like this would be stock to the truck?

You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I don't think air shocks were ever stock. I had a '78 K15 that had air shocks when I bought it from the previous owner. The airlines went back to the rear bumper where they drilled in a schrader valve.

If yours is going up to the cab some shock companies made an in cab controller to change the air pressure. Maybe that was what was going on. This usually also had a small compressor under the hood.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Ohhhhh it is an air line lol. I forgot that was a thing for shocks. Interesting I'll have to see if I can find where they go to, thanks. One more quick question, any idea if something like this would be stock to the truck?

No, not stock. You have some more work tracing back this install to make sure you don't have a parasitic draw from this helper system

Does this air shock system currently work?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
You may want to consider replacing them with a new "non air" shock unless it has been sitting for some time without continuous use. If not the shocks are probably pretty old and worn out on one hand, but also air shocks were usually responsible for ripping the shock mounts out of the frames.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Air shocks, man I forgot all about those. My Jeep had them when I bought it. The rear leafs were shot and that was the PO's way of stopping the sagging. I put regular shocks on, and later went with new suspension

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hey all, thanks for the replies. I followed them and they come together at a schrader valve under the floor of the cab. The valve is stuck, can't get a pressure read on it. Found one of my spring hangers rotted from the inside out at the same time, kinda sucks lol. Scraped out a pound of crap from the inside of it through it's new "breather holes" I made with a screwdriver.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Hey all, thanks for the replies. I followed them and they come together at a schrader valve under the floor of the cab. The valve is stuck, can't get a pressure read on it. Found one of my spring hangers rotted from the inside out at the same time, kinda sucks lol. Scraped out a pound of crap from the inside of it through it's new "breather holes" I made with a screwdriver.

Time for a shackle reverse kit.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
A note on air shocks...
Using these to lift or hold a load up is just waiting for the shock mounts to break. Shock mounts are not and have never been designed to hold weight.
Yes we used them in the 70's to jack up our Trans Ams and Novas to clear the 5o series tires, and even though these cars rear ends didn't weigh much we still broke the shock mounts.

Air shocks were never known for having any decent dampening anyway.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
A note on air shocks...
Using these to lift or hold a load up is just waiting for the shock mounts to break. Shock mounts are not and have never been designed to hold weight.
Yes we used them in the 70's to jack up our Trans Ams and Novas to clear the 5o series tires, and even though these cars rear ends didn't weigh much we still broke the shock mounts.

Air shocks were never known for having any decent dampening anyway.
Nope just anti rub control.....til the damn air lines broke or got burned in two!!!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Time for a shackle reverse kit.

ORD is now making beefed up stock style tension hangers. They allow the shackle to move a lot for a nicer ride.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@ 77 K20,

Boy, those hangers look nice. I don't know anything about 4Wheelin' but those parts look good.

What is a reverse hanger? Is that for relocating the leaf spring on the inside of the frame so you can run bigger tires? I don't know. I think I must have been thinking about a drag racing mod.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
@ 77 K20,

Boy, those hangers look nice. I don't know anything about 4Wheelin' but those parts look good.

What is a reverse hanger? Is that for relocating the leaf spring on the inside of the frame so you can run bigger tires? I don't know. I think I must have been thinking about a drag racing mod.

I believe he was talking about a shackle flip- where instead of a tension style shackle it is a compression shackle.

Here was a pic when I was installing the 2.5" shackle flip lift.

The stock shackle and rubber bushing does not allow free movement of the shackle- so you get a rougher ride and less articulation.

Also nice is the ability to run 56" springs instead of 52" springs. In general the longer the leaf spring the nicer it will ride. Newer trucks have 64" springs if I remember right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tporter79