wiper linkage adustment on 85+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
My wipers on the 1990 suburban move down just a bit before they start their upward sweep when I turn them on or when they pulse in delay mode. This causes an issue with the delay wipers because part of the pulse is used to move the wipers down and the pulse isn't always long enough to get them out of park. then it takes 2 cycles to get them out of park and make a sweep.

looking at the schematic, it seems that there is a possibility to adjust the linkage either where the crank shaft attaches to the motor (accessible by unbolting the motor) or where the crank shaft attaches to the linkage (accessible through the access hole).

before I dive into this, I wanted to see if anybody has any tips/tricks/advice.

thanks.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Wouldn’t it be easier to remove wiper arm and turn the switch to off and reattach in different position

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The first part of the issue just sounds like the arm is clocked wrong on the wiper motor. But the part about the delay makes me think it's a problem with the motor itself.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I haven't done much with this except look into the cowl to see how it operates. it looks like the only way to make adjustments is to adjust how the crankshaft is clocked on the motor.

I've since found that if I run them on high, the extra speed carries the wipers a little farther and positions them better to allow the delay to work. until it gets worse, I probably won't mess with it.

the motor is a fairly new Cardone rebuild. I've seen some other posts about a different motor preference. If I need a new motor, I'll try that recommended brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito