Wiper delay not working right, works on low and high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
So I took the burb out the other night in the snow to see what the Cooper ST Maxx's, my brakes, and the 4wd system can do. They all passed with flying colors and I've confident in the Mrs vehicle now.

I did find out that the wipers, when set on to delay just kind jerk an inch or so into motion. If I turn them up to Low from the delay position they work fine. If i turn the wipers to low from the off position they work fine as well. Same for high.

It seems like there is an issue with the delay. Is there something I can do to trouble shoot or fix this?

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
So I took the burb out the other night in the snow to see what the Cooper ST Maxx's, my brakes, and the 4wd system can do. They all passed with flying colors and I've confident in the Mrs vehicle now.

I did find out that the wipers, when set on to delay just kind jerk an inch or so into motion. If I turn them up to Low from the delay position they work fine. If i turn the wipers to low from the off position they work fine as well. Same for high.

It seems like there is an issue with the delay. Is there something I can do to trouble shoot or fix this?
If I recall from my 86, the arm/switch deal would go bad and replacing it made everything work again. I had an issue with the wire for the cruise control going bad down in the column too. Replacing the stalk fixed that too because the wire was breaking from the tilt wheel. Beyond that, I know nothing of the system.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
What year?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Look under hood, drivers side where you will see the wiper motor. Mine has a plastic cover that doesn't fit too well. I
had the same issues you speak of and all I had to do was press click that cover back in place and wipers were happy again.
One of those weird things I never revisited to see what the faaa?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
What year?
Its a 1989.

@Big Chip I'm hoping I dont have to go into the column for anything since everything is in such good working order. I have a few spare stalks from other GM cars that I might try to plug and play and see if the fit and/or work.

I'm going to have a look this weekend since the weather is going to be a summer-like 46 in my neck of the woods and check out what @shiftpro suggested.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Its a 1989.

@Big Chip I'm hoping I dont have to go into the column for anything since everything is in such good working order. I have a few spare stalks from other GM cars that I might try to plug and play and see if the fit and/or work.

I'm going to have a look this weekend since the weather is going to be a summer-like 46 in my neck of the woods and check out what @shiftpro suggested.
If I remember correctly you only have to take off the lower cover because the connector is down there. I don’t remember the exact procedure but I remember it being pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Maybe this will help. Page 4-130, about 2/3 down on left...
Hmmm, that didn't work. I guess you can't add a .pdf

Please can you attach a picture of your w/w motor? There are sooo many models and I would like to give you the proper info.

Attachments

• V2D764129.pdf
    272.6 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
If I remember correctly you only have to take off the lower cover because the connector is down there. I don’t remember the exact procedure but I remember it being pretty simple.

Yes, you just pull on that little cover. Thats a piece of cake.

I'm reading over the PDF now. THANKS!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Yes, you just pull on that little cover. Thats a piece of cake.

I'm reading over the PDF now. THANKS!
I got pretty good at replacing the stalk, tank switch and fuel pumps on that truck.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
I have the same symptoms. I just haven't made it that far yet. Only my wipers won't park either. I have to click them to the off position when they reach the park position. I am thinking that it is my stalk switch.

I have a few other items in my order of conquering prior to digging into my column. I am replacing the ignition lock pretty soon and plan to check out my wiper switch prior to then.

Let us know what your findings are.

Paulie B

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab
Engine Size
5.9l 6bt 12v Cummins
I just picked up a Dodge diesel donor truck with similar problem. The module is bad, but since it's guts are going into the K30 I'm not worried about it :) have you looked at the pulse module? I'm fairly certain it controls the intermittent function. Couldn't tell you where to find it though :/ here's a part number; AIRTEX/WELLS 6H1384

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Please can you attach a picture of your w/w motor? There are sooo many models and I would like to give you the proper info.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have the same symptoms. I just haven't made it that far yet. Only my wipers won't park either. I have to click them to the off position when they reach the park position. I am thinking that it is my stalk switch.

I have a few other items in my order of conquering prior to digging into my column. I am replacing the ignition lock pretty soon and plan to check out my wiper switch prior to then.

Let us know what your findings are.

Sorry, I forgot about this thread.

Adam, your problem is probably that the PARK switch isn't closing - at all. It is supposed to be normally closed and only opens when the wipers are home.

The park switch has two functions:

1. In HI/LO/MIST and you shut the wipers off, it continues provides an alternate ground path for the LO speed windings - this keeps the motor running until the wipers are home.

2. In intermittent mode, the pulse module applies a variable frequency ground path for the LO speed windings. The rate depends on the position of the rheostat in the wiper switch. The duration of this ground path is short (hence the term pulse), but it is long enough to get the wipers out of the PARK position. After that - as explained above - the Park switch takes over and runs the motor in LO speed until they are home.

Anyway, first check to see if I know what I'm talking about. Do this simple test:

1. Key in RUN and wiper switch OFF

2. Pull the PARK switch connector (leave the motor connector on) and jump across terminals 3 & 4.

You must be registered for see images attach

If the wipers run, the problem is in the PARK switch. If they don't run, the problem is in the control switch or the interconnected wiring.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
I printed off your instructions and will check it in the morning. Big Nasty is at the house tonight with the seat out. (That's a whole different frustration....ended up breaking off the seat bolts and have to drill them)

I usually tinker in the mornings after work prior to going to bed. I will post my findings tomorrow afternoon.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
I jumped the two terminals. And had no joy. So according to the instructions its a bad wire from #3 terminal or a bad switch. I'm placing my money on bad switch.

May just need to get a new switch and go ahead and replace the stalk since I no longer have cruise control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tporter79