Wiper cowl removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkhll8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
1987 R10 2WD shortbox
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.0 TBI
Anyone tell me how to get the wiper cowl off on a 87 square?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Remove the wiper arms...

Lift the hood, then look for a few small fasteners in the gap between the back of hood and the firewall. These fasteners secure the wiper cowl to the firewall. There should also be a few fasteners on either side of the cowl by the drivers side and passenger side fenders as well (by the hood brackets).

If you can't wiggle the cowl loose you may be better off removing the hood entirely. If you are really carefull, the cowl can be pulled off with the hood on.
You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
There are also a few alignment studs mounted just below the windshield on the firewall as well. Sometimes the tabs for the cowl can get hung up on these when trying to remove it. The windshield cowl itself is thin enough that it can be gently massaged and twisted to remove it. If these tabs get bent, they are easily fixed for re-assembly.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Is it necessary to remove the hood to remove the cowl.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Remove the wiper arms...

Lift the hood, then look for a few small fasteners in the gap between the back of hood and the firewall. These fasteners secure the wiper cowl to the firewall. There should also be a few fasteners on either side of the cowl by the drivers side and passenger side fenders as well (by the hood brackets).

If you can't wiggle the cowl loose you may be better off removing the hood entirely. If you are really careful, the cowl can be pulled off with the hood on.
@Loren

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Thanks, wiggling didn’t seem to work. I’ll try again, being a one man band prevents hood removal at the moment. Just wondering if was physically possible.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks, wiggling didn’t seem to work. I’ll try again, being a one man band prevents hood removal at the moment. Just wondering if was physically possible.
Reckless gives you good advice. I'll just add my experiences. If it doesn't wanna wiggle out, and you don't wanna take the hood off, soak the end closest to the windshield in a penetrant that won't hurt your paint like WD-40, let it sit and try again. Try to lift up a little on the side closest to the windshield as you try to pull it forward some and up. Like Reckless said, sometimes they like to hang up, but a little lube and some working at it and I'm sure you can get it to pop.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Is it necessary to remove the hood to remove the cowl.

I've removed the cowl with the hood on the truck by myself before and unfortunately it needs to be done again... I remember thinking this isn't possible at one point. If you really value your paint you may want to mask it all off, further than you'd think. On removal it was more going side to side inching it out but from what I remember it seemed to sort of slip back in place easier.
Let me know how it goes if you get to this before I do.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Hello
cowl off without hood removal, thanks!
vacuum actuator under cowl, does it actuate a door unseen In the plenum? Spaying sealant On the seam and can’t see what it is attached to. Also I understand there are drains in the corners and am concernEd bout spraying where I can’t see.
Thanks

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hello
cowl off without hood removal, thanks!
vacuum actuator under cowl, does it actuate a door unseen In the plenum? Spaying sealant On the seam and can’t see what it is attached to. Also I understand there are drains in the corners and am concernEd bout spraying where I can’t see.
Thanks
IMO You have basically no risk of plugging the drains with a spray on sealant as they are pretty big. What are you using for spray sealant?

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Flex Seal, as seen on TV
minor crack, no leak, got it apart. Thought I’d give it a little shot before reassembly

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Flex Seal, as seen on TV
minor crack, no leak, got it apart. Thought I’d give it a little shot before reassembly
I would use a proper Automotive Seam sealer or Sealant.

Reactions: WFO

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Flex Seal, as seen on TV

I would use a proper Automotive Seam sealer or Sealant.
@Loren You and both know Taylor is right. The correct thing would be to remove the fender, scrape the seams and reseal with automotive seam sealer. With that said the flex seal will work great for what your trying to do especially since it isn't even leaking. You won't clog the drains with that stuff either. I did the exact same thing your doing 3 years ago on my truck. No cowl leaking, but the sealant was not in the best. I laid a couple of coats of white flex seal along the cowl seam over the existing sealant as best I could. That was three years ago. Last weekend I had my cowling off to repair the wiper linkage. The flex seal is still there, looks like it was just put on, still stuck down good and there is no signs of rust or deterioration. I say going to town on the seam with a couple coats of that stuff will be just fine.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
So…the actuator. Is there a door for fresh air in the plenum?

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Reached in, found the door
thanks for the input
nice to be part of the forum!