Windstar fan - plug and wiring questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got my windstar fan in the mail yesterday (running it on my '74 LWB BBC radiator) and the plugs came today. Looks nice and the measurements work perfectly on my radiator.

You must be registered for see images attach

Like a knucklehead I ordered two of the three wire plugs for it. When I pulled it out of the box, I found out that the secondary plug is totally different than the three wire plug. Anyone know what plug I'm looking for? The three wire plug is fairly common and was used in a ton of ford vehicles. the two wire is unknown to me and I've not been able to find it yet.

Having done the Tarus fan on a SBC a few years ago I recall that the three wire setup was to control two speeds. What I don't recall is if the windstar fan has two speeds on the larger fan or if the wires are different than the tarus fan's were. Two speeds? None of the flow ratings I've found have indicated that there are 2 speeds though I imagine that the rating I'm finding are when the larger fan is on high.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Okay, I can answer question 2 for myself. The larger of the two fans is in fact 2 speed just like the Tarus fan (which is why it shares the same plug).

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
What year are these fans? My larger Windstar fan is single speed.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is a weird plug. might go to the ford dealer, check with the parts department. They sometimes have a box with a lot of the plugs in it, other wise, it might be an auto salvage moment.
Are You wiring through a relay ???

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is a weird plug. might go to the ford dealer, check with the parts department. They sometimes have a box with a lot of the plugs in it, other wise, it might be an auto salvage moment.
Are You wiring through a relay ???

I'll check the dealer. I hate going to parts departments because sometimes you get someone who's useless now a days. I suppose I could make a plug if need be but was hoping to just order it and be done. I will wire through relays. I haven't figured out the triggers yet but my EFI can control one, A/C setup can signal, and I can run some sending units.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hyp-4028/overview/
200 on/185 off. They also have a 176 on/166 off which I have but will be switching out for the 200 degree one since my fans pretty much run constantly with the 176 degree one. As for the relays if I were you I would look at the underhood fuse/relay box on a Windstar that matches your fans at the junkyard and grab the two relays for the fans while looking for the connector(s). They are easy to wire up with spade connectors and solder joints to heavy gauge wire.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Signal wire into one side, ground out the other.
Positive hot lead in, to load out. not that much toit, unless Your name happens to be MrMarty51.:help::bowroflwerd6::roflbow:

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hyp-4028/overview/
200 on/185 off. They also have a 176 on/166 off which I have but will be switching out for the 200 degree one since my fans pretty much run constantly with the 176 degree one. As for the relays if I were you I would look at the underhood fuse/relay box on a Windstar that matches your fans at the junkyard and grab the two relays for the fans while looking for the connector(s). They are easy to wire up with spade connectors and solder joints to heavy gauge wire.

I've tried a couple of different combinations on a previous project and found similar results as your 176/166 switch. What also seems to make a big difference in getting it right is where the switch is located. I've tried the radiator (upper and lower tank), the head, and the intake. What I found is that it's the easiest to figure out what's going on if you put it in the same location as the temp gauge and in the same relative location as the thermostat (which is what controls the temp of the motor) because there are less unknowns. I found a thread some time ago where a guy recommended using a switch that turns on when the thermostat opens. His argument was that it's that moment when the hottest fluid leaves the engine and requires the most cooling. I don't think that having the switch point being the same makes total sense because there's a chance that the fluid in the radiator is sufficient to cool the motor without the aid of the fan and should be given a chance to do so in situations like driving on the freeway or cooler days where the ambient temperature is low enough. It makes sense that if the fan switch is any lower than the thermostat open point the fans are going to run non-stop because the engine will always be on or around the thermostat opening point and the fans will never turn off. If the switch point is too high, the fan will turn on too late and it won't be able to cool the motor down if the ambient temperature is on the high side. I imagine that the efficiency of the radiator has a big impact on which switch to use as well. A more efficient one may allow for a slightly higher switch point whereas there's probably a point at which the radiator is just barely adequate enough to cool and the switch point is critical possibly even at a specific degree. All of these observations on the table, my best guess (I'll be testing it soon) is to have a radiator that's more than adequate and an adjustable switch to which the initial switch point is around 10* above the thermostat open temp to give the radiator a chance to cool the motor without fan assist. I wish I had a data logger so I could gather enough data to figure it out exactly but it's cost prohibitive.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine are wired in with basic spade terminals on the motor pins. I once tried the two different terminals on the 3-wire connector and did not notice a difference in fan speeds. It must have been that Ford was originally planning on a dual speed motor but for whatever reason decided against it.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mine are wired in with basic spade terminals on the motor pins. I once tried the two different terminals on the 3-wire connector and did not notice a difference in fan speeds. It must have been that Ford was originally planning on a dual speed motor but for whatever reason decided against it.

Unless the third wire is used to control the other fan, I do`nt know.

Another note: about having the switch/sending unit, located near the thermostat.
I think that there are available, thermostat housings that have a hole, above the T-stat, for a sending unit.
I have seen them, I just do`nt know if they are made for the Chevys or not.
To Me, it would seem that would be an excellent location for the fan switch.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
My 84 454 has two bungs on the t stat housing... im also seriously thinking of doing the conv. To electric fans using 98windstar fans but wirings not my stong point

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Just ordered the temp switch I posted up there, when I get it installed I'll post back the results with it.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It arrived this evening, hope to install/test tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400