windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Well, it happened. Some small pebble chipped my windshield right in front of my viewing area. I assume the glass is the factory glass. So that sucks.

I have to check with insurance yet, but, is it worth it to get it replaced or should it just be fixed and hope for the best?
Has anyone had issues with a replaced windshield? (the company trying to replace the glass without the antenna or something similar?)
Has anyone had one replaced without insurance? What did it cost ya?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Windshields for squares are about as cheap as a windshield can get. I think mine was $200 installed, maybe four or five years ago. Biggest problem is the gasket. You'll need an installer who is familiar with these gasket systems since most windshields are glued in these days.

If it's a really small chip or bullseye they can sometimes be epoxied, it depends on the nature of the damage. If you can't live with it in your view then it's replacement time.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Windshields for squares are about as cheap as a windshield can get. I think mine was $200 installed, maybe four or five years ago. Biggest problem is the gasket. You'll need an installer who is familiar with these gasket systems since most windshields are glued in these days.

If it's a really small chip or bullseye they can sometimes be epoxied, it depends on the nature of the damage. If you can't live with it in your view then it's replacement time.

Thanks. Ill prob call insurance and see if there is a discount and "it doesnt affect" my coverage. I was just about to switch to Grundy insurance as it is cheaper anyways and the house insurance is up in a month.

Just wanted to make sure it wasnt going to be replaced with some junk. They dont build stuff like they used to. [IE body panels]

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Just a point of info, since you mention quality. Mine was a Safelite. It's fine, but they offer "premium" shields for more $$$ than the house brand ones. While there is nothing really wrong with this one except the antenna is a tiny bit crooked, if I did it again I'd probably go for the premium one. YMMV.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Any claim will affect your annual rate, not sure about your coverage though. FWIW if it isnt much of a chip I would just have it repaired. Last one I had done was practically invisible unless I got out and searched for it.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Ill grab the camera after work. The cell phone sucks. The only thing that Im worried about is its right smack dab in front of my face. If it were off the side, Id have it repaired no problem.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I just had a new windshield installed in my '85 with the antenna for $250. I'm in California though. I was able to reuse the existing gasket, but used a new lock strip as the old one was bad. I have a new gasket I'll install after it goes to paint.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Some insurance companies will fix a rock chip for free, instead of taking a claim for a new windshield.

It seems like the last time I checked on a new windshield, it was only about $150 plus install. I had one replaced in my 80 several years back, and never had any trouble with it, but my glass guy is an old school type, and has replaced many of the old style windshields with gaskets.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I think you can even get a new windshield from the LMC catalog for less than 200 but then they bend you over the barrel on shipping.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't know what type of glass I have in my 85 I bought a few years ago but it sucks. The damn mirror fell off and took a chunk of glass with it. I reattached in a different location and it happened again. This time the chunk of glass was almost the thickness of the glass. Either a POS windshield or the glue they make these days are made with kryptonite.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
You must be registered for see images attach

Search Modes
All
Shopping
Images
News
Maps
Settings
Bob's Classic Auto Glass: Home

bobsclassicautoglass.com/

Bob's Classic Auto Glass Logo. Auto Glass, Rubber Seals and Accessories for Most Makes and Model, 1920 - Present. 800-624-2130. 541-925-3260.
Contact Us · ‎Gallery · ‎Glass Colors · ‎About Us
Classic Auto Glass, Custom Auto Glass | Sanders Repro Glass

https://www.sandersreproglass.com/

Need a windshield or replacement window for your vintage car or hotrod? Give us a call at (877) 882-4884 for details on custom auto glass options.
Glass Choices · ‎Order Online · ‎Contact Us · ‎Order Online Now

Vintage Glass

https://www.vintageglass.com/

Tempered flat & curved automotive glass, classic car & truck glass, antique or custom glass, muscle car glass & obsolete auto glass. Made in the USA.

Classic Auto Glass Catalog - 1925 - 1995 - Windshield Glass, Back ...

www.metropartsmarket.com/glass/classicautoglass.html

New Glass for Classic Cars and Trucks - Windshield Glass, Back Glass, Door Glass, Vent Window Glass and Quarter Window Glass for Vintage Ford, Lincoln, ...

Ron's Auto Glass Classic Cars, Muscle Cars, Hot Rods, Custom Glass ...

https://www.ronsautoglassmn.com/classic-car-auto-glass-gallery.html

Ron's Auto Glass services classic cars, hot rods, custom cars projects. We are personally involved in classic car restoration and understand the importance of ...

Classic Auto Glass

https://www.autocityclassic.com/classic-auto-glass/

Jobs 53 - 1227 - Front windshield, vent / wing, door, quarter , back / rearglass available for classic cars, classic trucks, vintage hot rods and muscle cars.
Classic car glass resources - Classic car windshields and windows ...

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2010/02/22/glass-resources

Feb 22, 2010 - Hagerty Classic Cars calls out some repair shops and other resources for classic car glass. While it may be for repair or restoration, classic car ...
Classic Glass For Classic Cars - Pilkington

www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/automotive/classic-glass-for-classic-cars

It's your pride and joy - maybe it's a restoration project, perhaps it's a kit caryou're building, or maybe you were just unlucky and broke the windscreenin your ...

Classic Car windscreens - Pilkington

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/.../automotive/classic-car-glass/classic-car-windscre...

Classic Car windscreens. Many owners of classic cars have come to us when searching for that rare windscreen. In many cases, the originalclassic cars were ...

Where do I find Glass for my Classic Car? | Only 1 Auto Glass

https://only1autoglass.com/blog/entryid/132/where-do-i-find-glass-for-my-classic-car

Dec 12, 2016 - Your 50 year old Classic Car has a broken window or needswindshield repair or windshield replacement and it is no longer just a trip to the ...

Searches related to classic car windshields
vintage auto glass installers

vintage auto glass near me

obsolete auto glass

classic car windshield replacement near me

classic auto glass restoration

classic car windshield installation

vintage auto glass ct

custom auto glass near me

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I did the online estimator through safelite and their repair (out of pocket) is $140 and a new windshield installed is $200. Online they dont have anything about the "premium" glass, but I am going to call and find out. I might just see if I can do the free insurance repair, and if its not up to standard, Ill replace on my dime. Just sucks.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Last time I checked safelight gave me a quite for around 200 bucks installation and that was with me providing the window. Seems about on par given the circumstances. They are great for convenience and timing!

86 Belgium Sub

Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Suburban C20 Silverado
Engine Size
5700cc - 350cu - LT9 - 700R4
I had mine replaced last year here in Belgium with antenna for about $ 300.
Only the new mounting rubber from LMC was a pain. They broke 3 windows trying to fit in the rubber. Finally we decided to re-use the old rubber with a new window. Just be sure to use some sealent kit on the outside, especially in the lower corners. Otherwise rain water is “crawling” in under the new window and into your interior. Which could ruin your dash speakers / underdash fuse box...