Windshield washer issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
Hi can anyone help me diagnose my windshield washer pump on my 1981 C10.
Wipers work but nothing happens when I push the wiper button in with the wipers on.
I have a pretty good idea how it’s supposed to work.
I don’t hear any click or other noise at the pump. So how do I determine if it’s the switch or the washer coil?
Thanks

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hi can anyone help me diagnose my windshield washer pump on my 1981 C10.
Wipers work but nothing happens when I push the wiper button in with the wipers on.
I have a pretty good idea how it’s supposed to work.
I don’t hear any click or other noise at the pump. So how do I determine if it’s the switch or the washer coil?
Thanks
Does your 81 have an electronic pump? Nice part of washer pumps is they are on/off go apply some power to the power for pump. Work? Wiring most likely i speculate at least. But the switch could be too.
If it’s vacuum, those things die al the time just put in a universal reservoir or junkyard am electric and install a momentary switch. Ezzzzz

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
My 85 is doing this exact thing.
Not sure if the 81 is the same as 85 but if it is, the +12v is supplied by a fuse directly to the pump when the key is on. If you have a volt meter you can check both wires at the pump for voltage - I don't remember which color it will be (pink or white).
If you have voltage the the switch is not completing the ground when you press it. Could be (1) bad switch (2) bad ground wire between switch & pump.

I haven't finished testing mine but I am sure it'll be the switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406