will fenders from a 73-80 fit on a 81-87 ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
Can fenders from a 73-80 c/k be made to fit on an 81-87 c/k?? I only want to replace the fenders. So the hood, grill, doors, radiator support, etc. would not change. Is it possible? How much cutting/drilling/welding/grinding would be involved?

I want to know because I have an '83 but I like the older look. Thanks!

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The hood, core support, and the cabs are different too.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
to be more specific, When they changed the front end in '81, the hood hinges migrated from the fenders to the firewall. The hood on the '80 and earlier went all the way to the windshield, and the wipers tucked below it. The hood itself, had a slightly different radius above the grill. The radiator core supports is also different to accommodate the different style and placement of lights. It is possible to back date your truck, the easiest way would be to find an older front clip. Then you wold need to remove the cowl panel at the base of the windshield, and figure out which model wiper assembly is needed to fit the wipers under the hood.

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
So the front radius on the hood from my '83 would not match the radius of the older-style fenders? So I could have to place the hood as well, which which also involves removing the cowl-panel and replacing the wiper assembly.

The radiator support, grill and lights are all different, but could they be made to fit?

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
OK, no, that' just not going to work.

The older hood will not fit with the newer grill. Comparing them side by side, it's obvious.

1973-1980:
You must be registered for see images

1981-1987:

The whole front end sheet metal would have to be replaced to get the older fenders to fit... :shrug:

So the answer to my question is: NO, the fenders are not interchangeable. Now I know. HOWEVER, if I ever get into a collision or hit a deer or something... I know what I'll be doing. Now I'll be secretly hoping that some dumb frat boy (I live in a college town) drives their jeep into the front of my truck. :naughty:

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Yep.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
OK, no, that' just not going to work.

The older hood will not fit with the newer grill. Comparing them side by side, it's obvious.

1973-1980:

1981-1987:

The whole front end sheet metal would have to be replaced to get the older fenders to fit... :shrug:

So the answer to my question is: NO, the fenders are not interchangeable. Now I know. HOWEVER, if I ever get into a collision or hit a deer or something... I know what I'll be doing. Now I'll be secretly hoping that some dumb frat boy (I live in a college town) drives their jeep into the front of my truck. :naughty:

73-74 front end was the best with the 77-80s. After that I think they just look silly :p

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I like the older styles, but the quad headlight look of my '87 has really grown on me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128