Whoa! Blue Betty, Bam-a-Lam. (My dream mod thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
So now that I have gotten Ol' Blue in somewhat proper running order (Still need to fix the rear window sash, and swap in some new plugs and wires) I have had some time to scheme on what mods I might like to start saving up for.

I am thinking of going with a mild beach wagon theme... I know my brother came up with this extreme vision for our website, The Beatnik Brotherhood but I'm not sure I'm quite on board with all the metalwork mods (yet).

I want to start with some pearl white ghost flames down the white sides... skinny, almost overlapping, subtle flames, like lowrider panel paint.

picture.php

Put some pinstripe tattoos on the blue around the hood ornament, dash, and tailgate handle... maybe even a tiki-head shift knob.

Since my headliner is shot... could get some of that fake grass and somehow paste it up like a thatched roof. (Maybe that's taking the theme too far...:wtf:)

I would like to lower it *a touch* but keep a hot-rod rake to it. I don't think Burbs look all that good as tail-draggers... and even when level they seem to look as though they are leaning back a bit.

I found this jem, and got a lot of inspiration from the wheel/tire combo. I love the five spoke Cragar look on the rear with the 10-spoke gasser skinnies up front. Not sure I would tub it out and go that extreme, but the look is there.

picture.php

Again, I don't know if I like that the rear is lower than the front... so would I need to come up with my own lowering kit combo? Like a 4/2 or a 4/3?

For the first step I would probably keep the rally rims that I have. I like the look of a custom truck with stock rims... do you think spacers on the rear would give the effect of wider wheels without having to spring for actual rim widening? I know a little shorter tire on the front would help with the rake, but I bought all four the same this time around for rotating ease.

To finish off the period beach-comber theme I might add a classy wooden roof rack and chrome vent visors over the windows.

Let me know your thoughts... I appreciate the feedback!

Mike

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That thing is way beautiful, if it was mine I would keep the paint just how it is, lower it and find some nice looking 15 inch wheels.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you did any such thing to that all original OEM Burb in that condition, not even kidding, that would be criminal. Of all the Burbs out there that have faded paint and such, that could use a working over, leave that one alone !!! Just drive it and enjoy it as is. I wouldn't change a damn thing about it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I agree with the above 2 posts. :D

**** I'll even trade ya Burbs. :eek:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I take it back, I'd change 1 thing. Next time it gets new shoes, I'd put the grandpa looking white wall on the inside and black wall out, or maybe some raised white letter tires.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I take it back, I'd change 1 thing. Next time it gets new shoes, I'd put the grandpa looking white wall on the inside and black wall out, or maybe some raised white letter tires.
No, leave it Paw Paw looking!!! :flipthebird: :chair:

Do they even sell whitewalls anymore?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No, leave it Paw Paw looking!!! :flipthebird: :chair:

Do they even sell whitewalls anymore?

May as well add some aluminum running boards if he's going to PawPaw it out !!! :poop:

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
Those were the tires I had on it when I bought it... which were paw-paw awesome, but also dry rotted. I had to get new ones in a hurry after the treat blew off on the highway... I was wanting to go with even BIGGER white walls http://www.widewhitewallradials.com/... but settled for raised white letters on some highway treads.

Perhaps if I can find some vintage Cragars... that and a mild lower might be all she needs.

Though you guys are right, I am having a hard time bringing myself to imagine it any other way... It's a survivor (though the paint is a respray, so I don't feel quite as bad botching it with some personalization... being the kid of a body man, I know it can always go back)

I traded a Subaru Outback for this, so the ride height was a bit of a jump up at first... but now that I have had it and gotten used to it, it's not quite the monster it first seemed. I still have a thing for station wagons more than trucks though... and I think a little lower with some 5 spokes and white walls might just be the ticket.

Gotta spend the cash on getting my rear window working again first, though.

Thanks for the input... I don't wanna get lynched, so I will keep it stock. :emotions133:For now....:signs6:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wouldn't even do that to an unmolested Burb. There's tons of Burbs that out there that aren't perfect if you want to hacking on one and customize it to be your own. If it were me and I just had to modify one, I'd park that one in the garage or carport and get me another one to be wrenching and butchering on.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I wouldn't even do that to an unmolested Burb. There's tons of Burbs that out there that aren't perfect if you want to hacking on one and customize it to be your own. If it were me and I just had to modify one, I'd park that one in the garage or carport and get me another one to be wrenching and butchering on.

When did simple bolt ons become butchering??? It could all be put back to stock if needed. Ya he's got a nice burb but its not like its some ultra rare muscle car or something...

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah that lowered burb bluex posted is far from butchered. You do accomplish that with simple bolt on parts and no other mods required. It's not like you'd have to hack up the frame to do a simple 2/4 static drop.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
When did simple bolt ons become butchering??? It could all be put back to stock if needed. Ya he's got a nice burb but its not like its some ultra rare muscle car or something...

True if you bought the bolt on kit and it wasn't C notched and bagged. Some people just apprecaiae OEM more than modified. I'm all about modified, but not one that clean and unmolested. Whether it's a rare muscle car or a clean unmolested AMC Gremlin it's still part of automotive history. Just sayin, IF IT WERE MINE, and it's not, I'd leave it as and get rid of the while walls and go with it and get me another one to modify and customize to my liking as far as colors, powertrain and suspension.

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
Bluex... that is pretty close to my vision. Perhaps a little taller in the back yet, or maybe that could be acheived through taller tires in the rear...

And I would do gray and machined Cragars instead of chrome.... and probably paint the headlight surrounds and grill inserts a darker gray to match.

You must be registered for see images

http://host.eznettools.net/~X354567/Cragar_610g_gray.jpg

HRPC is gonna have an anurysm! :mad:

I agree to not do anything drastic. Stick to Bolt ons, and keep the original equipment so a purist could put it back.

But honestly, Going from this, this, and this, to an incognito station wagon for a few years... I am ready to be seen in something a little bit personalized again.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HRPC is gonna have an anurysm! :mad:

I agree to not do anything drastic. Stick to Bolt ons, and keep the original equipment so a purist could put it back.

I already had a orgasm when I seen it. Don't go fuggin up my wet dream. :manos:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400