Who Knew???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronno6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Things my father never told me........
One of the largest hurdles in my resto of my 84 C-10 would be.............vent windows!!
New replacements are few and far between, especially the driver's side.
Those that ARE available will require a second mortgage on my house.
Used ones equally scarce.
The reconditioning program is very pricey,too..
Eliminating them with a single side glass is a viable option, but expensive and experiencing scraper shortages........

What are the tricks to restoring the originals???

What to do, what to do???

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do a little reading on here. There are several threads including recent ones.
I just re-furbished mine. Not difficult from a technical standpoint. Just time consuming and tedious. That’s why the new/rebuilt ones aren’t cheap.
$40 for new seals.
$20-30/ea if you need to replace the locks, but there may be rebuild parts available for those for less $.
There are a bunch of videos of the process as well.
Tricks?
After doing mine, I split the frames into 2 pieces for painting. Later figured out that was not necessary in my case. However it did help me get the new seals in a bit easier. But required reattaching the 2 pieces. I used small machine screws and nuts with loc tite in lieu of smash rivets. Worked well (as long as it holds up which I’m fairly confident of).
I also removed the pivot bracket from the front frame. Also not necessary in most cases I believe. I didn’t get smash rivets for this either. I pop riveted them back on. Had trouble finding the right size rivets.
Install and removal?
Watch your paint. If it’s nice, tape around the areas likely to get scratched.
When re-installing it appears the rubber lip gets tucked “in” to the door window frame. Although some installs don’t do that. And it looks correct either way imo, I couldn’t get the windows fully back into place with the rubber “out” , not “in.”

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
after trying jobber seal of all kind (one piece or tow pieces) that still leaking air on highway... i réuse an old pair of a OEM 91 Crew cab found at junk u pull for cheap that now seal tigh! ;)

Attachments

• DSC01041.jpg
    DSC01041.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 61
  • _DSC4149.jpg
    _DSC4149.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 55

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
Do a little reading on here. There are several threads including recent ones.
I just re-furbished mine. Not difficult from a technical standpoint. Just time consuming and tedious. That’s why the new/rebuilt ones aren’t cheap.
$40 for new seals.
$20-30/ea if you need to replace the locks, but there may be rebuild parts available for those for less $.
There are a bunch of videos of the process as well.
Tricks?
After doing mine, I split the frames into 2 pieces for painting. Later figured out that was not necessary in my case. However it did help me get the new seals in a bit easier. But required reattaching the 2 pieces. I used small machine screws and nuts with loc tite in lieu of smash rivets. Worked well (as long as it holds up which I’m fairly confident of).
I also removed the pivot bracket from the front frame. Also not necessary in most cases I believe. I didn’t get smash rivets for this either. I pop riveted them back on. Had trouble finding the right size rivets.
Install and removal?
Watch your paint. If it’s nice, tape around the areas likely to get scratched.
When re-installing it appears the rubber lip gets tucked “in” to the door window frame. Although some installs don’t do that. And it looks correct either way imo, I couldn’t get the windows fully back into place with the rubber “out” , not “in.”
I couldn’t get the windows fully back into place with the rubber “out” , not “in.”

in is 2 pieces..out is one piece rubber ;)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I couldn’t get the windows fully back into place with the rubber “out” , not “in.”

in is 2 pieces..out is one piece rubber ;)
Ha, neither could I. Started with them “out” as well.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Things my father never told me........
One of the largest hurdles in my resto of my 84 C-10 would be.............vent windows!!
New replacements are few and far between, especially the driver's side.
Those that ARE available will require a second mortgage on my house.
Used ones equally scarce.
The reconditioning program is very pricey,too..
Eliminating them with a single side glass is a viable option, but expensive and experiencing scraper shortages........

What are the tricks to restoring the originals???

What to do, what to do???
LMC Truck has both the 1 & 2 piece seals, rivet kits and latch rebuild kits. I'm doing this right now on my '87, I bought one piece seals off Ebay as most places list '87-'92, but they are actually 2 piece for my '87. I just had to order some 2 piece kits from LMC. :(

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
LMC Truck has both the 1 & 2 piece seals, rivet kits and latch rebuild kits. I'm doing this right now on my '87, I bought one piece seals off Ebay as most places list '87-'92, but they are actually 2 piece for my '87. I just had to order some 2 piece kits from LMC. :(
I did the exact same. I now have a one piece set for sale if anyone needs one. Too late to send back because I get excited and order my stuff waaaaayyyy before I’m at that point in the project. I took my assembly and seals to a resto shop. They’ll put the seals on using all my hardware. Rivets and seals from LMC

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I did the exact same. I now have a one piece set for sale if anyone needs one. Too late to send back because I get excited and order my stuff waaaaayyyy before I’m at that point in the project. I took my assembly and seals to a resto shop. They’ll put the seals on using all my hardware. Rivets and seals from LMC
Yeah, I have a set of one piecer's now, too! I bought them off Ebay a year ago! Hahaha, we think alike it seems! I have to go re-assemble my window now, then take it back apart when I get the correct seals...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Make that 3 sets up for grabs! Apparently this is a common problem with suppliers and what they spec by model year?
Note I ordered mine without looking and far before I actually needed them as I ordered a bunch of parts on sale. So I’m partly to blame.

forcruzen

Reaction score
First Name
BRAD
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
How do you know if one or two piece. Mine is an 83 it appears to be a one i cant seem to find a split in the rubber but its all so rigid.

Ronno6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have the 2 piece seals that I purchased from a FB seller about 3 years ago.......along with door seals, regulators, wipers and track liners....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How do you know if one or two piece. Mine is an 83 it appears to be a one i cant seem to find a split in the rubber but its all so rigid.
From what I’ve gathered, 81–84 all are 2 piece.
85-87 some 2 piece, some 1 piece.
73-80 I “think” are all 2 piece but different shape glass and seal (at the top)
You should have a 2 piece. Look at the top and bottom of the vertical part of the seal. 2 piece, the vertical part will be tucked under the rubber from the larger front piece.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito