White spots?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orange

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7L V8
I have tiny white spots on areas in my truck that are in the sun, any idea what it is or how to treat? They don’t have much of a texture

You must be registered for see images attach

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just a guess, but it looks like your clear coat is failing. If that is the case, you can't buff or sand it out. Paint guys (not me) may have some suggestions.

Cemack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Either you wait till the clear is totally shot and the weather starts to cause rust where you just have base coat, or you fix it. I've had lots of vehicles come into the shop like this. If you're really careful you can take a razor blade and shave the clear right off leaving just the base coat behind. Give it a quick sand with 600, spray some base and clear it again. Since it is on the roof you can just cut the paint job of at the roof seam.

Being careful with the razor blade let's you avoid cutting through the base so you don't have to spray primer again.

Paint guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The clear is delaminating form the base. Thats why it shows as white, its separating. My guess is that it was painted at some point in that area and they either didn't put enough clear on it, or used a "value" clear. The cheaper clears don't have enough UV screeners and will eventually fail on top surfaces. That is going to continue to get worse.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike