1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which carb to buy?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Mudgunner, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Mudgunner

Mudgunner Junior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC K1500
    Engine Size:
    I’m starting my restoration of my 1981 GMC High Sierra 4x4 with original 350 4 bolt main engine. I’m going to replace the carburetor but not not sure which to go with. I’m thinking Edelbrock but not sure which model? My truck will not be lifted or used off road. I’ll be driving it on country roads and some highway. I’m not looking to drag race it, I just want a great performing engine. Any recommendations?

2. wanderinthru

wanderinthru Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shakey
    Truck Year:
    81, 70, 75, 84, 89
    Truck Model:
    K 10, C 30, K 20
    Engine Size:
    I personally get along with the elderbrock, think mine are 1406. Though I'm itching to try one of their TSV 2 or 3's might look into them. If you go elderbrock, go ahead and buy a tuning kit for the carb. Plenty of stuff on you tube to see how to tune one, pretty easy.

Curt likes this.
  3. gotyourgoat

gotyourgoat Full Access Member

First Name:
    gotyourgoat
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10
    Engine Size:
    smokin' 305
    Quadrajet would be my choice. I see you are from a pretty cold climate though, have you thought about going with an efi system?

Snoots, 82sbshortbed and Blue Ox like this.
  4. CrazyArk

CrazyArk Junior Member

First Name:
    Arkadius
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C2500 High Sierra
    Engine Size:
    355 (0.030+)
    ...Everyone has their preferred carb, and it can vary heavily from person to person. Edelbrock has by far the easiest to maintain. The fact I, a complete newbie to rebuilding carbs could strip mine down, clean it, and reassemble it says a lot. Quadrajets, depending on how fancy you wanna go do have a nice factor, smaller primary, larger secondary, can help you a bit on fuel. I wont deny, the truck I have driven WITH a Quadrajet has given me a very healthy appreciation for the monstrosity they are to strip down and rebuild.

Personally, I like the 1405. But I am a sucker for a preference for manual choke. (plus it came free with the truck.) The 1406 is the same carb overall, but it is the electric choke version. I see no reason to go over a 600cfm Edelbrock with what I have learned so far. I havent learned nearly enough with their newer carb versions, Would need others to chime in on their efficiency rates.

5. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Whatever!

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    You said restore
    I say rebuild the correct Quadrajet.
    It's a Faaaaaaaaar superior carb to an edelbrock / Carter piece of shit.

Or at least buy a Holley. SA670. .Best to rebuild your OE carb though. You won't find anything that will perform better. Imo.
    Edelbrock carbs fucking suck.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  6. Octane

Octane Full Access Member

First Name:
    Eddie
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    I have luck with Rochesters if it's a decent core.A bad one is a very bad experience.Edelbrock in early years were carter.Later on lots of them were weber.I only had one and it did well enough on a 350 I built with a slightly over stock cam.But I've heard the hate on them but a little adjusting is all I've ever had to do.But I have to say I've had a few Rochesters and had to rebuild every single one.But I always liked the way they ran on a daily driver

82sbshortbed likes this.
  7. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Bruce
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
    Engine Size:
    I am currently using a Quadrajet and it now works well, but the truth is that getting a 40+ year old carb to work properly with a modified engine was not that simple. Quadrajets are infinitely tunable, but that is also why they are complicated to get properly adjusted. And when you rebuild one you are trying to fix the mistakes of past owners, which is also frustrating.

For a new carburetor I have found the Edelbrock AVS2 has gotten really good reviews, and it has several improvements over the old 1406. Almost every review talks about its crisp throttle response.

Bruce

Octane likes this.
  8. Paladin

Paladin Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
    Engine Size:
    Hands down HOLLEY, or you will be fiddling with it forever!!:cheers:

9. wanderinthru

wanderinthru Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shakey
    Truck Year:
    81, 70, 75, 84, 89
    Truck Model:
    K 10, C 30, K 20
    Engine Size:
    Same thing I've heard. Way I understand it is instead of it letting the fuel in through a single tube, it has a ring with a bunch of little holes. supposed to help atomize the gas which makes alot of sense. That what your understanding Bruce?

10. AuroraGirl

AuroraGirl Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Taylor
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1980
    Truck Model:
    K10, K25
    Engine Size:
    400(?), 350
    More CFM is unfortunately equated with more power when there is a cut off where you need to do internal changes to your engine to need more than 600 generally. Race cars putting out 400hp or so with 107 or so octane gas be using 500cfm 2 barrels... its about how an engine is built and much more complex things than i am qualified to list.

But once you reach the higher CFM point, definitely a good point.

Power blast or something is a company that claims to make bolt on parts that do just that for 1406. i might try it for 40 bucks once my truck runs a consistent, good way that i can use as a before/after statement.

11. AZ-520

AZ-520 Junior Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c-10 2wd
    Engine Size:
    5.9l
    Edelbrocks are great and easy to tune regardless of what dude said above, I like all carbs and they are all pretty good. You need to take the time to tune it properly. Do yourself a favor and get and AFR gauge so you can easily dial in any fuel system you go with.

Catbox likes this.
  12. Ricko1966

Ricko1966 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c20
    Engine Size:
    The quadrajet ran for decades, trouble free on new GM cars Vettes to farm trucks.A good quadrajet requires practically zero attention, if they were troublesome or inferior GM wouldn't have used them for so long.Next best thing to TBI IMHO. And I've had quadrajets, edelbrocks,Holley, webers. I've said it before and will say it again when people say they put x brand carb on and their truck ran so much better, they are comparing a 45 year old quadrajet that needs rebuilt to a brand new brand x. And anything other than stock is not restored, it's modified.

Octane and 82sbshortbed like this.
  13. Hugeroost

Hugeroost Junior Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10
    Engine Size:
    Agreed, its damm near impossible to rebuild one of those things and it run right, of course there's 30 guys on here that did it. My opinion of a quadrojet, and Ricko touched on it, they are fine when you buy new truck or car, but once it needs to be gone thru its best to throw it in the garbage and buy edel/holley. OP needs aluminum intake, headers, full duel exhaust, and a holley/edelbrock and he'll never have to touch it again. Also a stock 350 or even a cammed one w heads only needs 600cfm max. My last one, since I had em on the shelf, I went from 750 to 650 to a 550 and the latter found the sweet spot, it had heads and a cam as well....Roost

Paladin likes this.
  14. TravisB

TravisB Full Access Member

First Name:
    Travis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    I got a 670 Street Avenger Holley I intend to run on my 2wd with a 350. I have even thought about getting a carb intake for an LS and still running the Holley.

15. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Bruce
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
    Engine Size:
    As I mentioned, I'm using a Quadrajet and it currently works well. However, just to give you an idea of the configuration/tuning choices you have with a Quadrajet, these are some of the items I recorded for my carburetor. If I made a significant change in cam, heads or other parts I might have to go back through these settings to figure out what needed to be "tweaked." It is not a simple process.

Quadrajet 17080213 Q243 CPX
    Idle tube .038
    Idle down channel .055
    Upper air bleed – in air horn, .052
    Lower air bleed – .0625
    Idle air – .110
    Mixture screw hole – enlarged to .078
    Jets #74
    Primary rods - 50C
    Secondary rods - DA
    Secondary hangar - G
    APT - 2 ½ turns out