Which 383 Crate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’ve been kicking around the idea of something with a bit more grunt than my current 350. I thought about BBC, Cummins, etc. However, I just put custom leaf springs on built for the weight of a small block. So now I’m looking at a crate 383 for my truck.

The two manufacturers I’ve been reading reviews on are Blueprint with this engine:

You must be registered for see images attach

…and West Coast:

They’re pretty close in power/tq with the slight edge to west coast. Close enough that it’s not a big consideration.

The price difference is approximately $700. The biggest difference is the warranty. Blueprint’s warranty is decent for a crate @ 30months/50,000mi. West Coast is pretty dang impressive for a crate @ 60mo/50,000mi.

Anyone have personal experience with either?

Last edited:

Mofarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'll be following this closely as I'm in the market for crate engine also!

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
GM Performance 383 Stroker EFI Turn-Key Engine 450 HP

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
GM Performance 383 Stroker EFI Turn-Key Engine 450 HP
I already have everything new to pull off of my basically new Chevrolet L31r crate engine including ProFlo4 efi.

That 383 is a few points down on compression and I’m guessing the cam favors hp over tq.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I’ve been kicking around the idea of something with a bit more grunt than my current 350. I thought about BBC, Cummins, etc. However, I just put custom leaf springs on built for the weight of a small block. So now I’m looking at a crate 383 for my truck.

The two manufacturers I’ve been reading reviews on are Blueprint with this engine:

…and West Coast:

They’re pretty close in power/tq with the slight edge to west coast. Close enough that it’s not a big consideration.

The price difference is approximately $700. The biggest difference is the warranty. Blueprint’s warranty is decent for a crate @ 30months/50,000mi. West Coast is pretty dang impressive for a crate @ 60mo/50,000mi.

Anyone have personal experience with either?
I've never heard of the westcoast one. FWIW I've seen them use the blueprint engines several times on Engine Masters and roadkill. They have always made more power on the dyno than advertised, which in itself is pretty good. I also like that they run all their new engines on the dyno to make sure they are initially broken in right and make the advertised power. Nothing worse than getting a brand new crate engine, installing it in your vehicle, firing it up for the first time and have no oil pressure or it eats the cam on break-in.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I did the GM engine in my truck only because if there was an issue, I could just go to the local dealer and have them do any warranty work. I didn't want to have to potentially pull the motor at my cost, send it back to the vendor and "trust" there option of a failure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoblind