Where do you put your antifreeze when doing a flush?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Will a 5 gallon bucket work? I don't have a shallow big pan to slide under there. I was thinking of doing this while the truck is still on the ramps. Once in the bucket what do I do with it?

Need to do the SS too and it's much more lower. Thanks for any ideas.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Some auto parts stores or local mechanics will take waste coolant for a price, or free if you know them well.

I sometimes pour it into a large tub of floor dry to soak it all up, then throw it out like normal trash.

It is generally frowned upon to dump any automotive fluids in open ground. I have a well out here and don't want to poison my water, lol.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Will a 5 gallon bucket work? I don't have a shallow big pan to slide under there. I was thinking of doing this while the truck is still on the ramps. Once in the bucket what do I do with it?

Need to do the SS too and it's much more lower. Thanks for any ideas.
I used a cement mixing tub that can picked up at home depot for under $15 IIRC. Works great for engine transplants and everything else too . used it when swapped motors to catch everything . and also to change my trans pan and fluid . as far as disposal . autoparts stores should allow you to dispose of it in one of their waste containers. Our O'reilly auto allows it as long as its not over a certain amount . 5 -10 gallons I believe .

You must be registered for see images attach

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
I used a cement mixing tub that can picked up at home depot for under $15 IIRC. Works great for engine transplants and everything else too . used it when swapped motors to catch everything . and also to change my trans pan and fluid . as far as disposal . autoparts stores should allow you to dispose of it in one of their waste containers. Our O'reilly auto allows it as long as its not over a certain amount . 5 -10 gallons I believe .

Now thats nice! I'm probably going with that since like you said it has multiple uses. I just dropped the Trans pan and made a good ness because my oil change container wasn't quite big enough. Thanks man.

And ill be the ******* that pours it out back in the alley. Lol

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Your driveway or garage floor will thank you . clean up is a little tricky but if you have a 5 gallon bucket it helps . I did that and poured it back into antifreeze jugs with a funnel to dispose of but you have another solution already figured out lol.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Technically antifreeze usually falls under hazardous waste. I usually just drain into a container and take it to the local autoparts store. Once drained, I'll fill with water and flush and then drive it around for a while. Then every rinse and flush after that to get the cleaner out is straight into the gravel.

It generally takes way more gallons than I am willing to manage in order to fully flush the system.

Then I fill with good quality coolant and distilled water.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
Any auto parts, or chain shop (midas, pep poys etc) takes fluids for free. Except brake fluid I think, idr one fluid was a no go - source just dropped off about 2 years of all fluids from both my cars at the local midas in 5 different containers.

cuz ya know to disincentive people just dumping it.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Any auto parts, or chain shop (midas, pep poys etc) takes fluids for free. Except brake fluid I think, idr one fluid was a no go - source just dropped off about 2 years of all fluids from both my cars at the local midas in 5 different containers.

cuz ya know to disincentive people just dumping it.

My brake fluid goes in my oil container and gets dumped at the same time... lol

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Yall crack me up, that's why I love it here. :happy175:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I use biodegradable antifreeze....I pour it out in the back yard.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use a 5 gallon bucket. I put a length of hose on the petcock so the **** didn't hit the front leaf springs and go all over the place.

From there it goes to Walmart for free disposal or a strategically placed bowl behind the fence to eliminate some of the damn feral cats. I HATE cats!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When I worked in Columbus, someone once told me it was legal to dump non-contaminated coolant right down the drain. I never looked into how true that statement was. But I do know that at the time, there were local dealerships that would perform coolant flushes right over the central drain of the service department's floor.

However, my coolant is always "properly" disposed of ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL