When is a cab too-far-gone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Both of these cabs lack most of the floor pan and, sadly, body mounts. Toast?

You must be registered for see images attach

Paint guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Personally.... I don't think they are ever too far gone. It's just metal and all of it can be brought back to life.

However, It does come to a point where you have to ask yourself why when good rust free cabs are still available at somewhat reasonable prices. Now, if a really rough cab has some sort of emotional ties (was a family members truck when bought new, etc.) then go ahead and fix it, but when they are too bad I say buy a good cab.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Must be good if somebody is gonna keep em around for forty years..

Any Port in a Storm? :shocked:

Sounds crazy to me unless you just want to.

:crazy:

Old people never throw anything away after living through The Great Depression...you dont have to keep that stuf anymore.

The carburetors, the rusted cabs, sell it all for scrap.

Keep the best parts you want a plan for and make new space.

It's okay.

Get a big ass trailer or rent a roll away whatever? And run it all across the scales.

Best choice.

Your family wont be upset, they are glad they could help.

Look around.

Cash out now and spend the money.

Ever see the news?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Any cab is repairable. Whether or not it's worth it is a matter of opinion. Floors, supports, inner rockers, outer rockers, cab corners, etc are widely available and would be considered 'normal' repairs in many parts of the country. With the cab in the picture, I'd be more worried about that windshield frame that's been laying in the dirt for who knows how long.

Edit: It also looks like the roof is caved in. Notice the buckling around the dome light area.

Scottserado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Any cab is repairable. Whether or not it's worth it is a matter of opinion. Floors, supports, inner rockers, outer rockers, cab corners, etc are widely available and would be considered 'normal' repairs in many parts of the country. With the cab in the picture, I'd be more worried about that windshield frame that's been laying in the dirt for who knows how long.

Edit: It also looks like the roof is caved in. Notice the buckling around the dome light area.
Hey bucket thanks for telling me any grille works on a squarebody i fixed my trucks front end from the crash I got in from a 2 headlight grille

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
The floor supports look pretty good though!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Definitely looks crushed in, especially to the left of the dome light.
Yeah. I beleive the blue cab is not dented up, but ruisted floor pan and missing cab mounts. It wasnt completely that they were rusted out... I think my grandpa cut them off when he replaced the cabs(he rebuilt trucks for neighbors when seasonally unemployed)... and those are elsewhere.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There's a guy that did most of my resto painting....we had a couple of shells that looked like that. He wouldn't touch them unless they were dipped - said there was rust in places you'd never see or reach and would show themselves after you got it all back together.

I agree with the other fellas.....its definitely buckled. I think you'll have more $ in this than if you start with a nicer one.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Not so much for me, but for resale. Basically scrap or sell, but if its too much i cant imagine anything is worth it. Even the sliding window has one missing pane which im sure means whole new assembly.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Nobody in their right mind would buy that with the intent of restoration, so that's out. Scrap steel price is currently two cents per pound so you'll spend more in gas going to the scrap yard than it's worth. I'd put a "free for the taking" ad on Craigslist and hope one of the metal recycling guys sees it and hauls it away.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It might also have some good donor metal for other cabs, that isn't reproduced. Like sections of firewall and cowling.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not so much for me, but for resale. Basically scrap or sell, but if its too much i cant imagine anything is worth it. Even the sliding window has one missing pane which im sure means whole new assembly.
I have actually bought a single pane out of a slider when I broke one of mine. I was lucky I found a glass shop that saved the good panes out of one when they replaced it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Oh imd efinitely not bringing it in currenrlt, im not insane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL