When and what to install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westislander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have never lifted a truck before, I plan on installing a 4inch kit on my ‘85 shortbed. I am doing it just for looks and will not be 4wheeling it. My first question is what manufacturer should I go with? So my project entails replacing my frame. My second question is it significantly easier to install a lift kit prior to putting the cab back on the new frame?

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
i would do a reverse shakle flip in the rear and a B-52 kit up front. should ride better and gain you the 4” your looking for

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
If I had a choice of doing the lift before or after the cab I'd do it first. Things would just be more accessible.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do the lift with the cab off. As said by @DanMcG items are more accessible.

Since you're doing the lift just for looks, find one that is comfortable. There are tons of kits out there and since it will be a street truck I'd go for ride quality. You may pay a little more but your a$$ and back will be thankful.

Personally, I prefer a easier ride but want performance out of the suspension too.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I agree, lift before cab swap. The accessibility with the old stubborn hardware will be really nice.

Since it's for looks and not wheeling, I would NOT recommend a B-52 kit. The main benefit of the B-52 mod is increased suspension travel therefore it creates a domino effect of associated mods (crossover steering, long travel driveshaft, longer than normal extended brake lines, replacing/relocating front spring brackets). This mod is simply overkill for a street driven truck.

I would suggest a Tuff Country lift kit, this brand is recognized as making one of the best riding "off the shelf" kits. As stated, a rear shackle flip is a good idea and rides great, however, a simple lift block will do the same if you're trying to keep cost down.

Talk to Off Road Design, they are the leader in the square body market.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54