Wheel stuck on drum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey guys, thanks for any help I can get in advance.
I drive an 85 k10 4x4 and have been having brake problems. When trying to remove the left rear wheel it is stuck. When lifted up In neutral, the wheel spins fine despite what sounds like a brake shoe dragging.
I have tried removing the lug nuts and pounding on the tire and wheel with a sledgehammer.
I have also tried loosening the nuts and driving around, and even running over curbs, and doing a couple donuts in a vacant parking lot which was frowned on by a couple of police officers.
Ive got several hours into trying to get this wheel off and I feel defeated.

Any tips?
Thanks

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
back the brakes off first then smack her good a time or two should pop off sometimes you need a lil pressure pulling off when ya smack it but watch out shell go flyin

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Been there, it can be a pretty lonely feeling when drums get stuck.

If the drum is stuck to the axle, a oxy torch will expand enough for it to release.

Assuming the drum is not stuck to the axle, but instead the brake shoes are wore into the drum lining. In the past I have had to drill out/grind off the two (2) "shoe hold-down spring" retaining pins from the rear of the backing plate. Should that not be enough, remove the brake line from the slave cylinder and remove the two (2) cylinder bolts from the backside. Should get things moving. Also remember your local auto parts jobber should have a brake drum loaner tool, will help provide the pull while you beat the h out of it.

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
He hasn't even gotten the tire/wheel off yet.

I would think driving with loose lugs nuts would have popped the wheel loose. I'd start soaking it with PB Blaster or Kroil.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Getting a stuck wheel off is easier than stuck drum. Simply heat wheel up w/ oxy torch to expand it and slug with a 10# sledge. Should it not come off the first time, splash it with a 50/50 mix of acetone/trans fluid while still warm, causing the fluid to be drawn in between wheel/axle as the wheel cools. Heat wheel back up and slug the h out of it. Repeat as necessary till it comes off. Keep a water hose handy in case things get out of control..

Last edited:

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I don't have an oxy torch but I do have a propane torch. Would that provide enough heat?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Should

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Must be aluminum or magnesium wheel. I've had success with holding a 2x4 across one side of wheel while striking said 2x4 with an 8lb sledge.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I tried the the 2x4 sledgehammer to haha. With lug nuts loose also hit a couple potholes at a good speed with no luck. I sprayed some brake cleaner inside the lug holes and around it, and then filled with penetrating oil. I put the lug nuts back on to drive to work. Fire and more pounding to be continued tonight.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Jeesh may put som antisieze on the hub not threads!!!when you get it apart for next time ive never had that much trouble.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Will definitely be cleaning the rust off when its off. Tonight is not going any better. Im pretty tenacious, and to be defeated by removing a wheel... Im embarrased and ashamed. Will it come off if i light the truck on fire?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wow, that bitch is stuck. I've had them stick before and used an 8 foot 2x4 and was able to pry and roll it around, and pry roll it around and pry it off. You gotta find something to pry off of though. BUT, when that don't work, I then loosen my lug nuts and back out of the driveway with a sharp right or left turn and that does the trick. You've even done burn outs and hit curbs and still not coming off? I'm out of suggestions other than spray the back of the wheel with PB or Kroils and let it soak as already suggested.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Heat is your friend. Will expand the wheel, providing necessary clearance from the axle. Application of penetrant while hot will get it where it can do some good. Oxy torch works best since it will heat wheel rapidly with axle temp lagging. Propane torch is better than nothing but not near as good as oxy for this kind of stuff. MAPP used to be an alternative to propane, now discontinued in favor of more environmentally friendly Map-Pro. (MAPP gas should be used w/ MAPP/Propane compatible torch)

Last edited:

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
I had an 88 suburban with the stock rally wheels. the rear wheel was stuck on it. I had to beat right on the wheel with a sledge hammer. at the time I had no access to any way to heat it was not at home.

I beat on it till my arms went numb it eventually came off.

the center hole on the wheel was stuck on the axle. later after I got back home I ended up taking the axles to a machine shop and had them turn the axle stub down a **** hair.

it was not rusty just way to tight of a fit. I wondered if it maybe had aftermarket axles in it. but i have ran into it a few times since then. mostly on 88 and up suburbans and blazers with stock steel wheels. wonder if it was something they changed in those years

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes