Wheel Spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So im thinking about getting some wheels spacers. My tires are 12.5's, so thats wide enough for the tires, but i want them to stick out some more.
When installing them, what do you have to do? Just take the wheel off, stick it on, and put the wheel on, or is it more complicated?

And, what is a good whel spacer? I was thinking:
http://www.roughcountry.com/wheel-spacers-1101.html

not exactly the 2 inch ones, but what id like to do is have skinnier ones in the front and wider ones in the back, so the wheels stick out about the even amount, since normally the back wheels look more recessed than the front.

My front tire is just about flush with the fender now, the slightest bit inside it, so how far do i want to go with it?
And, how far should i do the back compared to the front?

Thanks!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You need to install wheel studs to match your spacer. Some mount to your existing studs and then use additional studs to mount the tire. I personally would think that the ones that install longer studs would be stronger but I could be wrong on that. I dunno :)

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
A couple notes on wheel spacers (I did a lot of research on the topic some time ago)

1. Watch your tire/fender gap - you may end up with sliced sidewalls next time you hit some railroad tracks
2. Wheel spacers can lead to premature wheel bearing wear, particularly up front. The reason for this is that the center of mass of the wheel is no longer in line with the bearing.
3. Generally speaking your load capacity will decrease for similar reasons as #2.
4. 1/4-1/2 washer-type spacers are fairly safe assuming you have at least 8 turns on the lug nuts once installed (Gotta have that thread engagement!)
5. Be VERY careful with aluminum spacers - whether they are washer type or the type you linked to above. You will need to pull the wheel and retorque the inner lugs regularly to ensure they do not wobble off.
6. Steel spacers are the best you can get, and considering the level of importance of the parts in question - I would in NO WAY cheap out.

With all of this in mind you may still decide to go forward with wheel spacers. If you do I would highly recommend these:

http://www.wheeladapter.com/

While expensive, they are considered the best out there. Do not screw around with this - cheap spacers with low-quality aluminum/steel and/or low quality lug studs could kill you and those around you. Just keep that in mind. It is why I decided against them myself.

Hope all that info helps you.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Go adapters and drive with no worries. Spacers break lugs.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So if im not going with spacers/adapters, what are other ways of achieving this?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
rims

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
If i already have 12.5 inch tires on what i think are 10 inch rims, what size should i go up to? 13.5, 14.5?
And, I'm new to wheels and suspension and all, what is the backspacing and offset i see everywhere?
And, what size rims should i get to have that wider tire?

Thanks!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You will gain some width by keeping your 12.5 tires and buying 12" wide wheels. That's what I have on mine.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just keep in mind that back spacing also comes into play. Not sure how much lift you have, but you will lose some clearance when going wider so make sure you not going to rub.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I need to get new tires anyways, mine are dry rotted bad, could i get 13 or 13.5's on 12 inch wheels?

And, i have a 4 inch lift with 33's currently, have room for days in the fenders, i want 35's but my 700r4 and gearing wont allow it, so ill keep the 33's.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I need to get new tires anyways, mine are dry rotted bad, could i get 13 or 13.5's on 12 inch wheels?

And, i have a 4 inch lift with 33's currently, have room for days in the fenders, i want 35's but my 700r4 and gearing wont allow it, so ill keep the 33's.

If you can find them. I don't know anybody that runs 13.5s. I know some guys that run 14.5s on 12 inch wheels but I think they look goofy in anything smaller than a 35. Just my opinion.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
If you can find them. I don't know anybody that runs 13.5s. I know some guys that run 14.5s on 12 inch wheels but I think they look goofy in anything smaller than a 35. Just my opinion.

The only tires I know of that the manufacture recommends a 12" wide wheel and the height is still only 33" is Interco.

They have a few in a 33x15.50-15 Tread width is 12.3" so it is nice and square with a 12" wide wheel.

$$$

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The only tires I know of that the manufacture recommends a 12" wide wheel and the height is still only 33" is Interco.

They have a few in a 33x15.50-15 Tread width is 12.3" so it is nice and square with a 12" wide wheel.

$$$

My Micky thompsons said not to go bigger than 11.5, but I put them on my 12s anyway. However it doesn't get any highway time and rarely ever sees over 45mph.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And I would be super paranoid about buying 15.5s with a 4" lift. I think you would need 1/2 an acre to make a u turn without tearing a fender off.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
And I would be super paranoid about buying 15.5s with a 4" lift. I think you would need 1/2 an acre to make a u turn without tearing a fender off.

Yeah, I could see major rubbing issues with this. I have 33" tall tires and only 8" wide wheels and it looks like I have tons of room until I turn my tires and get a front tire stuffed into the wheel well.

With a 12" wide wheel I'm not even sure with fender trimming it would fit. I would think you'd end up even rubbing on the firewall.

There is the 1" ORD zero rates which provides another 1" of lift then you could move the axle 1.5".... but I'm still thinking he'd have issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84