Wheel and tire size suggestion- C20 Camper Special conversion to C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Autobody1

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Anyone have any wheel suggestions on a 8 lug C20 suspension. Truck was once a camper special. 1978 but is now a slightly lowered short bed C10. Looking for suggestions on what wheels and tire size- I have seen wheel adapters to try and get down into 5 or 6 lug in order to open up more wheel options like a Torque thrust style etc. This truck won't be used to tow anything - just a cruiser. Has a late 90's built 454. Thank you for any suggestions

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
could you change your rear axle shaft and front hubs to be 5 or 6 lug? I dont know if they are interchangeable entirely based on lug and not diameters, etc.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
We kept our eyes peeled for a set and ended up with these fine wheels on our truck.
Our truck has had 4 sets of wheels and tires on it so far in the few years I have owned it.

Luckily for the 8 lug crowd, all trucks up into the late 90's had the same pattern.
Ford, Chevy, and Dodge work.
But to be sure look up the lug spacing for your truck and ask questions when looking at used wheels.

I need to put tires on it now and I will be going with a slightly shorter 255/65/16 from General.
I don't plan on towing anything with it either, but I still want the capacity to haul stuff.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Anyone have any wheel suggestions on a 8 lug C20 suspension. Truck was once a camper special. 1978 but is now a slightly lowered short bed C10. Looking for suggestions on what wheels and tire size- I have seen wheel adapters to try and get down into 5 or 6 lug in order to open up more wheel options like a Torque thrust style etc. This truck won't be used to tow anything - just a cruiser. Has a late 90's built 454. Thank you for any suggestions

What hood hinges are you using? That thing lines up nice.

Autobody1

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thank you. Good to know the options.

Autobody1

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
All original 68,000 mile truck, just took it all apart-soaked everything in parts cleaner and fresh repaint in original paint color just added the white . Motor swap is the "non original" upgrade.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice truck! Great stance too.
Wheel adapters add about 2” in width to the hub/wheel mating surface. So width wise a typical 4-5” backspacing on Aftermarket 8-10” wheels may be too much positive offset to fit. Especially with the drop suspension. OE type wheels with large negative offset will stick out similar to 0 offset aftermarkets.
Would be a big project to actually change axles, shafts hubs etc. but doable I think. A lot just for wheels though.
What styles are you after? Just vintage aftermarket “mags” like torq thrust?
There’s some other good options if wanting something relatively period correct.
From just wide OE looking steelies in 16” dia to larger custom wheels. Check out US wheel and Destroitsteelwheels.
That’s where I’d be headed and maintain the 8 lug truck.
More unique anyway. Everyone has slammed half tons.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Are... steel wheels and hubcaps by chance a consideration?
Some hubcaps can look nice. of course, its hard to have that CLEAN and sleek look, too. but a thought.

Autobody1

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thank you for the tips. Yes I think keeping the 8 lug "camper special theme" will make it different than all of the other C10's. Steel wheels and hubcaps to go towards original is definitely on the table if I can find them. I will give the Detroit steel wheels a look.

Thank you

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
8 lug to 5 lug? 8 lug to 6 lug adapters? I'd have to see that. I can't picture it in my head without it being a Swiss cheese block of aluminum that some holes would have to intersect each other. Don't think I'd want to trust my life to it. 5 to different 5 all lugs equal distance apart, 4 to different 4 again all lugs equal distance 6 to different 6. But man I can't picture 8 to 5 or 8 to 6 laid out. I'm going to look. It's driving my crazy.

Wow! Just looked them up so you bolt an 8 lug piece of aluminum on that has 8 lug bolt holes and six more holes to bolt another plate on that has 6 anchor bolts and 6 lug bolts so plate 1 has 14 holes and fasteners plate 2 has 12 holes and fasteners. Man I really wouldn't like that.

Last edited:

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think there are a whole slew of great looking 8 lugs wheels out there. The early Ford 8 lug "Holy" wheels look just like the 5 & 6 lug factory GM alloy wheels. There are also some 8 lug Dodge wheels from the '99-'02 3/4 ton trucks that look great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406