What was the cause of the door strap defect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
It's a typical problem with these old trucks. Where the chrome caps always pop off of the door straps. My truck was already missing the caps on both sides, so I wanted to ask what caused this common problem. And what could be done to prevent it from happening again.

I want to buy new door-pull straps for my door panels. But I don't want to have the same problem later on. Any idea what could be done? Glue the tabs on the cap to the back of the panel, maybe?

Thanks!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
It's a typical problem with these old trucks. Where the chrome caps always pop off of the door straps. My truck was already missing the caps on both sides, so I wanted to ask what caused this common problem. And what could be done to prevent it from happening again.

I want to buy new door-pull straps for my door panels. But I don't want to have the same problem later on. Any idea what could be done? Glue the tabs on the cap to the back of the panel, maybe?

Thanks!
Might be a hack thing, but I just used some light duty silicone, filled the cap up and glued the damn things on. Easy to peel off if you need to and the chunk of silicone just separates from the strap and cap, My billet caps anyways, you can't even tell if you get the right amount of silicone. Never had one pop off since.

Im guessing the plastic on the cap and the door panel get slopped out after enough use, then they fall out and get put back in however many times. They're supposed to "snap" into place.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I always thought they popped off from the strap stretching and allowing it to pull against the cheesy tabs. I've always thought about using a couple smaller screws (or rivets) on each side of the large screw that holds it to the door - then make a flat square steel 'washer' on the backside - so it cant flex, stretch or pull loose. That probably doesn't make sense.

I used to have issues like that with door speakers in 4N car panels. The weight of the speaker when shutting the door would flex and pull the 4 small rivets loose they used to hold it to the panel. I replaced them with larger fender washers on the backside so they couldn't flex and pull loose anymore.

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I always thought they popped off from the strap stretching and allowing it to pull against the cheesy tabs. I've always thought about using a couple smaller screws (or rivets) on each side of the large screw that holds it to the door - then make a flat square steel 'washer' on the backside - so it cant flex, stretch or pull loose. That probably doesn't make sense.

I used to have issues like that with door speakers in 4N car panels. The weight of the speaker when shutting the door would flex and pull the 4 small rivets loose they used to hold it to the panel. I replaced them with larger fender washers on the backside so they couldn't flex and pull loose anymore.
I followed ya. Seems a good hack to me.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I can't see the back of the panels at the moment so... Do the door-strap screws go into the steel door itself? Or just into the panel?

If they go into the actual door, then you can't simply glue the caps down. Cause you'd be gluing them down over important screws. You might need to take those screws loose in order to remove the door panel. In order to fix some other problem.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This is one end attachment point, it's inside the door panel:

You must be registered for see images attach

You can order this set of reinforcement brackets for $17.95 from USA1 Industries. I need to get a set for my truck but have not done it yet.

1981-87 Fullsize Chevy & GMC Truck Door Pull Strap Reinforcement​

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I can't see the back of the panels at the moment so... Do the door-strap screws go into the steel door itself? Or just into the panel?

If they go into the actual door, then you can't simply glue the caps down. Cause you'd be gluing them down over important screws. You might need to take those screws loose in order to remove the door panel. In order to fix some other problem.
That's why I said light duty silicone. I've had to pull my straps off after doing that and have had no problem. Good enough for who it's for.

Often they go missing but there is a metal "bracket" that goes behind the cap and fully encloses the end of the strap and also locks the ends in place, so the strap doesn't move.

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
That's why I said light duty silicone. I've had to pull my straps off after doing that and have had no problem. Good enough for who it's for.

Often they go missing but there is a metal "bracket" that goes behind the cap and fully encloses the end of the strap and also locks the ends in place, so the strap doesn't move.

Ah I see what you're saying now. Do you happen to have a link to the silicone you use?

I'd end up getting the wrong kind, and they'd be welded on there. And have to be ground off or something. I have some stuck to my sink that I can not get off of there. It would probably damage the sink if I really had a go at removing it.

And yes to solve the problem without silicone, I believe you'd need a strap that will never stretch. Not sure if I'll end up liking the straps. Might make it easier for people to slam the door.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Was just generic silicone from a farm store.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Another way would be to have the screw go through the cap instead of under it. Wouldn't look very nice, but the cap wouldn't come off anymore. Maybe if you had chrome plated screws it might look ok.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This is one end attachment point, it's inside the door panel:

You can order this set of reinforcement brackets for $17.95 from USA1 Industries. I need to get a set for my truck but have not done it yet.

1981-87 Fullsize Chevy & GMC Truck Door Pull Strap Reinforcement​

Those reinforcements do a pretty good job of saving the life of the chrome covers. They aren't fool-proof, but a they are a big improvement.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Another way would be to have the screw go through the cap instead of under it. Wouldn't look very nice, but the cap wouldn't come off anymore. Maybe if you had chrome plated screws it might look ok.
The cap would crush under the tension required on the screw that secures the strap.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If a guy got or made new door straps, it wouldn’t be an issue for years.
But IMO a person needs to have a little common sense with old cars and well, everything, in that if you recognize something as being a bit more fragile than expected, don’t break it.
The strap is literally not needed to close the door sufficiently, so don’t use it.
But if your door closes like an old barn and the arm rest is missing off of the door panel you’re sure to stretch it some by yanking on the strap hard enough to close a door that doesn’t latch easily.

Or get/make new straps and then they won’t stretch out for a long time and the caps won’t pop off.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Tbh i never have used the straps to close the door. I just use the arm rest.
Ya, I’ve imparted that wisdom on the kid as well (he drives the truck more than me) and he’s been good about keeping people from using the strap.
But I never fixed mine “right”. Just reinstalled the best 2 out of a few extras I had and the clips stay out fine. Even using the strap. But eventually they’d pop

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84