What type of transfer case do I have in my truck ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
An 84 and earlier NP205 that was bolted to a TH400 will have a figure 8 pattern on the T-case and a short 32 spline input shaft. The adapter for that setup has the T-case shifter mount cast into the side of it. You need 4-1/2" of output shaft from the 6-bolt mounting surface on the trans to connect straight to this setup if you machine the index ring on the round side of the adapter .01" larger diameter. The 85-up NP205 uses a round pattern and a long 32-spline input shaft. This allows a shorter output shaft on the transmission.
Thats good to know. I think my 79 NP205 has a long shaft and the figure 8 bolt pattern same as if it were bolted to the TH400 instead of my SM465.
Anyway, the Advance Adapter kit, part # 50-0217 will work really well because it replaces the tail/adapter thats on my NV4500 now, instead of adding to it. maybe thats why there are so many used NV4500 tails on Ebay. Then onto that new tailpiece which is over fifth gear, I bolt their 1" thick plate that adapts from the figure 8 bolt pattern to the same round 6 bolt pattern of the NV. I figure it puts my T/C stick in about the same place it is now. Without adding to the length of the whole setup. There's a sleeve for adapting the two splines, from the 31 of the NV (after you cut off the 32 spline part there's 31 spline left) to the ten on the NP205. If you go to Advance Adapter website and search that part number you'll see what I mean.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Thats good to know. I think my 79 NP205 has a long shaft and the figure 8 bolt pattern same as if it were bolted to the TH400 instead of my SM465.
Anyway, the Advance Adapter kit, part # 50-0217 will work really well because it replaces the tail/adapter thats on my NV4500 now, instead of adding to it. maybe thats why there are so many used NV4500 tails on Ebay. Then onto that new tailpiece which is over fifth gear, I bolt their 1" thick plate that adapts from the figure 8 bolt pattern to the same round 6 bolt pattern of the NV. I figure it puts my T/C stick in about the same place it is now. Without adding to the length of the whole setup. There's a sleeve for adapting the two splines, from the 31 of the NV (after you cut off the 32 spline part there's 31 spline left) to the ten on the NP205. If you go to Advance Adapter website and search that part number you'll see what I mean.
Not sure which "adapter for that setup" you are referring to, the factory 84 and earlier or the AA?

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
The flywheel has nothing to do with the pilot bearing.
I've never seen a flywheel that didn't have a pilot bearing, thats where the end of the tranny input shaft rides. Some are bushings and some are ball bearing but they all have some kind of bearing.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I've never seen a flywheel that didn't have a pilot bearing, thats where the end of the tranny input shaft rides. Some are bushings and some are ball bearing but they all have some kind of bearing.
He means its in the crank not in the flywheel.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hold on guys im going to get a 205 if thas the most desirable case to have !
To find out that my 203 is full time all time im not good with that...
And if the NV 4500 is the best tranny then I will get that one too...only crappy thing are my driveshafts....looks like im gonna have to spend money of newly rebuilt shafts...
So you didn't know your truck was full time 4wd? Your shifter will only have 4wd positions. Or is this a truck you just got and are building?

High Roller Ron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
1977 Chevy 4x4 swb
Truck Model
Chevy 4x4
Engine Size
This is odd even for me. The story brhind the truck.... it was my fiance uncles truck project even for him.....we found out about it when my fiance listed their houss for sale after the passing of her uncle... ( covid victim ) .
We bought the truck and I havent even cleaned it out yet due so many changes in our lives... we were renting and the owner decided to sell the house we were renting, little notice 21 days we were expected to move and move we did...pryor to that we bought Land last year 5 achres and we been workin on cleaning it mostly wooded and gettin it ready to live on when we were told she wanted to sell the house we were renting....in 21 days try moving a 3000 sq ft home furnishings.... some were !!! Well we did.... 40ft high cube container was purchased... 16x20 metal storage building was purchased... 10x16 wood shed....and 20 ft metail container.... already had 10x10 enclosed trailer...12x10 enclosed trailer...and 24ft enclosed trailer was borrowed and still being used with our stuff in it. Lol
Needless to say spending money like it grew on trees within a short time....didnt help me working on the Square.... so she sits... last thing bought was a stepside bed.....for it...and honestly I dont know if I will go that route.... time will tell....and thats not all of the story....due to the town we live in a big steel company has moved in and alot of people have flooded the area jobs for people its great but again no were to rent... to we decided to make a go of staying in our 28ft Camper on the property...if anyone knows its not a cheep start think about the things it takes for a house... electricity...suige....water... these are the basics.

High Roller Ron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
1977 Chevy 4x4 swb
Truck Model
Chevy 4x4
Engine Size
Little story turned long sorry.... but the truck means alot to us....and after the purchase i started investigating.... so I find out that her uncle many years back like 1984 bought the truck from a little car lot..... ok .... well it seems they sold him a 1977 c-10.... yet its 4x4 ... huh

High Roller Ron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
1977 Chevy 4x4 swb
Truck Model
Chevy 4x4
Engine Size
I have a good buddy that tows cars for a living and he says he can help getting the title changed ... ok ... great.... then more investigating.... so it seems by stories from my fiance's dad and younger brother that her uncle replaced the cab... oh. Ok ..... looked for the Vin tag... uuummmm. Missing.... now we all know thas a Big No No .....so I thought we all knew !!!
Yet another head ache for us ( me ) haha

High Roller Ron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
1977 Chevy 4x4 swb
Truck Model
Chevy 4x4
Engine Size
So to recap.... this truck sat with a freshly rebuilt 350 motor.... ( wait ) ... i hadnt dicected that only been told its a 350. Lol . Its Sat with freshly rebuilt turbo 350 tranny.... ( yes ) i confirmed that !!! Lol
And me being a mechanic tech for over 16yrs
I hadnt had the time to scratch my azz never mind work on the Square...lol
Ive bought parts they are stackin up lol

High Roller Ron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
1977 Chevy 4x4 swb
Truck Model
Chevy 4x4
Engine Size
I will take a few pics tomorrow. Need to anyways.... update statis....and show you I caint see the shifter never mind know what it looks like. Lol

High Roller Ron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
1977 Chevy 4x4 swb
Truck Model
Chevy 4x4
Engine Size
1 pic should say alot... I opened the door to try to look at the shifter and seen I have aluminum steps for the truck. Lol
They look good I was surprised lol. I dont know what all is in there cause I have no place to put the stuff yet...

Attachments

• 20220525_094719.jpg
    20220525_094719.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 50

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

1 pic should say alot... I opened the door to try to look at the shifter and seen I have aluminum steps for the truck. Lol
They look good I was surprised lol. I dont know what all is in there cause I have no place to put the stuff yet...
there should be a metal trim plate that then surrounds it to hold it down, I think, and it has the gear pattern to the left of the handle

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502

Sell me that 73 or 74 grill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84