What to save before junking toyota & Mercury?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
Howdy, I am helping clean up some stuff, including 2 old dead cars that an elderly family member still has sitting for over 20+ years. Unfortunately nothing exciting, but I'm wondering if there's anything worth taking off before getting them hauled off to the junkyard.
First is a 90s toyota, rear ended pretty bad, but the driver's seat looks pretty nice...thinking of saving it for who knows what?
Next is a maybe late 80s Mercury (basically the T-Bird), which does have a 5.0. It was bought for an engine swap, then he had a stroke and it sat...since the 1990s...
Anyway, just wondering if there's anything I should grab, I can't see anything that looks useful, but I'm one of those who hates to throw anything away I might use later...

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Howdy, I am helping clean up some stuff, including 2 old dead cars that an elderly family member still has sitting for over 20+ years. Unfortunately nothing exciting, but I'm wondering if there's anything worth taking off before getting them hauled off to the junkyard.
First is a 90s toyota, rear ended pretty bad, but the driver's seat looks pretty nice...thinking of saving it for who knows what?
Next is a maybe late 80s Mercury (basically the T-Bird), which does have a 5.0. It was bought for an engine swap, then he had a stroke and it sat...since the 1990s...
Anyway, just wondering if there's anything I should grab, I can't see anything that looks useful, but I'm one of those who hates to throw anything away I might use later...

Axles maybe?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So the Mercury is a Cougar? That should have decent value as a whole.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Agreed, any 5.0L Fox Body Ford is going to have some decent parts value. Save anything that you can salvage, axle, suspension components, drive train parts, etc. They are widely interchangeable across the platform and will be easy to sell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fox_platform

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
huh, it never occurred to me that the Cougar might be collectible at all. I'd heard of the Fox body Mustangs, didn't realize that was applicable to other models also. I know it was bought for the 5.0 way back when, but didn't realize that someone might want the whole thing...I will have to check out the VIN or doorplate, but I'm guessing it's mid 80s by the looks. I actually found the title in the glove box, so will check it out. Only downside it has been sitting since 1996 (last inspection) so it's pretty rough around the edges, but who knows. I may try to list it and see if anyone bites for a few hundred bucks. Anything to add to the Suburban budget is a plus!
:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115