What size shielding gas tank to get for welding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
What's the best size shielding tank gas to get? I was thinking a 125, but I need some feedback. I'm gathering up tools in prep for redoing some stuff on my 87. MIG welder will be here soon and I want to get a shielding gas tank that will be able to last through this whole project and whatever else I decide to use it for around the house.

I don't have much metal to replace on my truck but I do plan on doing some serious practicing before I start cutting into the panels. I also have another project car I'll be replacing metal on sometime in the future.

I found a local airgas store that can supply me with a Argon/CO2 tank but I think it's odd that I have to lease the tank from them for x amount of years instead of just purchasing one to own forever.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Is there another gas/welding supply store nearby? Continue shopping... it seems every shop has different rules.
Years ago in BC Canada we could own any size tank we wanted, now we can only purchase these little farts that well, run out quicker than my own ass gass.

I just rented an O2 tank, can't remember the volume but it's about 4' high. The rental is $75 a yr. and the gas (Oxygen) cost another $75.
Obviously this is not apples to apples but just throwing out examples for everyone. Also, this is in Nelson which has the highest prices on everything.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I struggled with the same thing. It's a big up front expense.

I bought a 125 locally for 270.00, filled. I exchange it once a year or so for about 60.00. I do a fair bit of welding, not a ton, but some, probably 5-6 times a month. I've done at least one bumper each year.

But you won't be miserable and constantly run out with a smaller tank, unless you're a real professional welder doing it all day.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I've gotten along pretty well with an 80cf tank. I don't do a TON of welding, so its worked out well for me. Costs about $35 to refill it down here.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Is there another gas/welding supply store nearby? Continue shopping... it seems every shop has different rules.
Years ago in BC Canada we could own any size tank we wanted, now we can only purchase these little farts that well, run out quicker than my own ass gass.

I just rented an O2 tank, can't remember the volume but it's about 4' high. The rental is $75 a yr. and the gas (Oxygen) cost another $75.
Obviously this is not apples to apples but just throwing out examples for everyone. Also, this is in Nelson which has the highest prices on everything.

There is another welding supply store in the area. I'll have to see if I can get down there on lunch break one day.

I struggled with the same thing. It's a big up front expense.

I bought a 125 locally for 270.00, filled. I exchange it once a year or so for about 60.00. I do a fair bit of welding, not a ton, but some, probably 5-6 times a month. I've done at least one bumper each year.

But you won't be miserable and constantly run out with a smaller tank, unless you're a real professional welder doing it all day.

That's not bad at all. Especially since you got to but it and not lease it. Sounds like if I get one that size it should last me at least 2 years. When you pick up the tank is it okay to lay it down in the bed of a truck? I notice that tanks are usually carried vertically on most gas delivery trucks.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
There is another welding supply store in the area. I'll have to see if I can get down there on lunch break one day.

That's not bad at all. Especially since you got to but it and not lease it. Sounds like if I get one that size it should last me at least 2 years. When you pick up the tank is it okay to lay it down in the bed of a truck? I notice that tanks are usually carried vertically on most gas delivery trucks.

Mine is always laying down when I swap them.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
When you pick up the tank is it okay to lay it down in the bed of a truck? I notice that tanks are usually carried vertically on most gas delivery trucks.

Getting laid in the back of your truck is just another perk...

It's acetylene that must be upright to USE. It has I think acetone (?) Before you hook up your gauges, crack the valve just to let out a burp. This cleans out any dust and if on it's side, blows the few drops of acetone out rather than putting it in your torch hose.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I have a 125cf tank that I use with my tig welder and in the nine months I've had it I have exchanged it 3 times, but if you see my 79's thread you know there is a LOT of welding and metalwork I've done too it (and still a fair amount to go), and some exhaust work and other things in between.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
I bought it at Tractor Supply.
I just checked with our local one and they only have the small tanks. Convenient though.

Getting laid in the back of your truck is just another perk...

It's acetylene that must be upright to USE. It has I think acetone (?) Before you hook up your gauges, crack the valve just to let out a burp. This cleans out any dust and if on it's side, blows the few drops of acetone out rather than putting it in your torch hose.
LOL. What happens in the back of the truck stays in the back of the truck. Good info on the burping.

I have a 125cf tank that I use with my tig welder and in the nine months I've had it I have exchanged it 3 times, but if you see my 79's thread you know there is a LOT of welding and metalwork I've done too it (and still a fair amount to go), and some exhaust work and other things in between.

Gotta go check out this thread of yours. If you've done that much welding, I will be hitting you up for some advice and techniques. I've done most of my welding using a Lincoln Electric stick welder and a cheapo harbor freight flux wire welder. The harbor freight crapped out on me so I have a better one on the way from Summit Racing. Here is a link to the welder I ordered.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIu-O524yg4gIVCbSzCh06XQVJEAQYAyABEgKMifD_BwE

I chose to go with the 120V wire welder this time instead of 240V because I will be doing some body panel repairs and according to the chart in the lid, the 120V one can weld thinner materials. Anything thick I have to weld, I can just use my 240V stick welder.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
That summit welder shouldn't have any issue doing sheet metal work. Biggest thing I can recommend when doing sheet metal work is to make the seams close to a hard corner and to planish the welds (if possible) this helps keep warpage to a minimum.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I need to get a bottle, too.
I used to just borrow them from the shop at work and nobody cared, but now there's a lot of bs involved.
Speaking of laying bottles down for transport, my dumb ass had a full size bottle of argon rolling around in the back of my Cherokee one day when the cap popped off and the valve handle skimmed across the back seat vinyl and opened the valve up.
Scared the living hell out of me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
That summit welder shouldn't have any issue doing sheet metal work. Biggest thing I can recommend when doing sheet metal work is to make the seams close to a hard corner and to planish the welds (if possible) this helps keep warpage to a minimum.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Good info. Nice work on your 79.

I need to get a bottle, too.
I used to just borrow them from the shop at work and nobody cared, but now there's a lot of bs involved.
Speaking of laying bottles down for transport, my dumb ass had a full size bottle of argon rolling around in the back of my Cherokee one day when the cap popped off and the valve handle skimmed across the back seat vinyl and opened the valve up.
Scared the living hell out of me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Yeah. There is nothing like having your own of anything. Nobody can tell you what to do with it or how you do it. I bet you bout ran off the road after that bottle opened up.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
I was able to grab a shielding gas bottle today. Got it from a gas company in Winston-Salem. http://arc3gases.com/

They had a great price. Especially compared to tractor supply. I purchased the biggest tank they would allow you to purchase, which was a size 80 cylinder. They said that there are restrictions on letting people purchase tanks larger than 90cf and that they could only lease them. For anyone interested in price, it was $165 for the cylinder, filled with gas(75% Argon, 25% CO2). The guy I dealt with said that I should have 4.5 hours of active weld time on the tank that I got.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes