What material are 1987 v2500 hub caps made of?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Frediani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V2500 Camper Special
Engine Size
TBI 5.7 350
Im going to polish my hubcaps on my GMC V2500 4X4. I would like to know if they are aluminum or stainless steel. They are factory hubcaps. Any help on what they are made of or the best product to use to polish them? do I clear coat after? Thanks Matt

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They are anodized aluminum. To polish them, the anodizing needs to be stripped off first.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
They are anodized aluminum. To polish them, the anodizing needs to be stripped off first.
I saw a company that advertises an anodizing with a chemical that gives you a very resiliant but textured/colored finish, so the science has definitely stepped up as to options

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I saw a company that advertises an anodizing with a chemical that gives you a very resiliant but textured/colored finish, so the science has definitely stepped up as to options

I don't follow. Does it treat an existing anodized finish?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don't follow. Does it treat an existing anodized finish?
No i dont think so, but if someone was worried about losing the color or look im sure it can be replicated or maybe even a new one they prefer. Idk what it looks like but some might fear making it not-original or changing the color, but there are options now that werent then that should make it a great idea

Matt Frediani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V2500 Camper Special
Engine Size
TBI 5.7 350
I just want to clean them up and have them not tarnish. Trying to keep my truck pretty much stock. I just buffed and polished the original paint on the body and it looks great. I have new 16x8 White steel wheel vintiques wheels and 32" tires so the hub caps need some work. Thanks for everyones input. Im not sure how to get the anodizing off of aluminum but I will figure it out

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I dont or didnt think the surface under anodizing could go bad..? Maybe it wore off in parts?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I just want to clean them up and have them not tarnish. Trying to keep my truck pretty much stock. I just buffed and polished the original paint on the body and it looks great. I have new 16x8 White steel wheel vintiques wheels and 32" tires so the hub caps need some work. Thanks for everyones input. Im not sure how to get the anodizing off of aluminum but I will figure it out

Acetone and a medium grit scotch brite pad will desolve the clear coat with ease.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Pretty sure they’re anodized and I’m certain they’re not clear coated.
Need sodium hydroxide to strip anodizing.
I “thought” I could remove it easily by sanding since it was on a flat surface. Not productive and virtually impossible to get entire surface due to the hardness of the anodizing.
You can polish and clean it up. But don ttry to remove it by mechanical means.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Unless the anodizing has worn off and they became corroded underneath, just polish them with whatever the hell you want, they'll be fine. Yeah you can have any color anodizing applied to aluminum you want, but unless it's bare aluminum you're kinda stuck with what you got. If they're all ****** just sandblast them then polish them and wax them, or if you really want have them re-anodized in any color you want. Or if not, just clean up what you got. I have literally seen dudes high speed buff surface rust to a ******* shine with polishing compound, it becomes like a tarnished silver color with a tan gradient outline that fades off to shiny rust brown color along the edges. Almost comes out looking like that faux patina ******** dudes to do trucks, but not ******* gey because it's actually real...

Matt Frediani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V2500 Camper Special
Engine Size
TBI 5.7 350
Thanks for all the info, I guess I will just clean them up with something. Then I will re-paint the black. Thanks guys.

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Let me know what you end up using. I want to polish up the aluminum upper and lower body side molding to a shine. I have tried Rouge on a buffer wheel and that did some improvement, but I want it to look sparkling new.

swilson143

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
6.0L LQ4
I did mine last month. Here's a before and after. I found the socket of the correct size that I could press onto the backside of the hub.

Using the socket I was able to attach the hub to the end of my drill. Then I was able to spin the hub and use a Scotch-Brite pad to take off the clear coat. I then use a finer scotch brite and then super fine stainless steel wool.

Finally I took some mother's billet polish for a final spin.

Not perfect, but way better than what I started with
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boukeelynn