What is this? (LSPV Valve)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry87v20

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Any idea what this is on my 87 v20??

You must be registered for see images attach

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
Brake load/height sensing valve?

Jerry87v20

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Is that stock?? Or did someone put that on?? It has a 4in suspension lift..

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It doesn’t appear to be connected anymore. They probably bypassed it when it was lifted. Unless I’m not seeing it, usually there is a linkage that goes down to your rear axle from the valve.

Jerry87v20

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I think the brake lines are still hooked up...I need to look at it tomorrow... going to put all new brake lines on... and getting rid of that value...just didn't know what it was..

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
There WAS a lspv there at one time but the hard lines look like the only thing left besides that angular bracket coming off the top of the differential which can also be removed. Yours looks like someone swapped in some type of valve with a thumbwheel adjuster.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Interesting though, I wasn't aware that 4x4's ever got that. I know it was only a limited # of years and was done away with, then a GM Service Bulletin came out to bypass it so it obviously wasn't a good thing.

BTW, It's LSPV is Load Sensing Proportioning Valve.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Interesting though, I wasn't aware that 4x4's ever got that. I know it was only a limited # of years and was done away with, then a GM Service Bulletin came out to bypass it so it obviously wasn't a good thing.
The cucv pickups have them. I pulled and saved mine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I actually think what's it's main purpose was for, where most think it's so your brakes work better when you're loaded heavy, it's actually the opposite of that. It's so your rear brakes don't work near as good when you're empty. I believe it's actually purpose was the first attempt at Anti Lock Rear Brakes. If you're weren't loaded, the rear brakes didn't get near the pressure to avoid locking up.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You have an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes that someone install probably after the lift kit. I was going to install one of those on my K15 I did the 3/4 ton axle swap because the new 13" brakes were locking up too soon. I sold the truck before that though.

@HotRodPC my '85 K30 had one I just remove and an '87 K20 I had also had it.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

BTW, It's LSPV is Load Sensing Proportioning Valve.

My 86 K20 has that proportioning valve. It has the the C6P HD option though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IIRC, it was just 84 to 87 20 and 30 series trucks that got it. I learned today that 4x4's got it too. I thought it was only 2wd trucks that got it.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I actually think what's it's main purpose was for, where most think it's so your brakes work better when you're loaded heavy, it's actually the opposite of that. It's so your rear brakes don't work near as good when you're empty. I believe it's actually purpose was the first attempt at Anti Lock Rear Brakes. If you're weren't loaded, the rear brakes didn't get near the pressure to avoid locking up.

I can't imagine you could just eliminate that valve. When I did the C6P conversion on the Suburban the rears would lock violently until I added that valve. It was not safe to drive without it. Absent that I would think some kind of proportioning valve would be needed.

But yes, Ks definitely had them although I think it was only the C6P 20s that got them.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I looked up c6p and kept getting results for gmt400 burbs... what is that option? I have jb8 on a k30 and a load sensing valve..

I’m not potting my load sensor back on for now. Although I did put caddy discs in the rear and a disc-disc prop valve up front. I think others have eliminated the rear pv with no ill result. Just proves you need to be careful with any brake mods for a while; until they’re proven. I’ll definitely be taking it easy for a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell