What is this? Accumulator on a non-A/C Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuiltToWork

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
So I have a mystery item in front of my radiator. It looks like an A/C Accumulator, but the truck never had A/C from the Factory (Heat only), doesn't have holes in the firewall like any A/C lines were ever installed and by the way the blue electric lines were run, this did not come from the factory (or someone messed with it).
In addition, one blue wire runs to a relay on the firewall and the other is just free floating with a stripped end.
Pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

...and yes, I'm cleaning up the wires - ignore the mess.
*edit - Accumulator not condenser

Last edited:

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
It sure looks like an AC dryer.. wires and pressure switch…. Just put Vintage Air in Easton’s truck at Christmas…

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like a previous owner started an A/C installation or removal.

Last edited:

BuiltToWork

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
It sure looks like an AC dryer.. wires and pressure switch…. Just put Vintage Air in Easton’s truck at Christmas…

Thanks Randy. A/C Dryer with switch. got it, now to google it to learn more.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 56

BuiltToWork

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Is a dryer the same as an accumulator? here is what the google says:
"
Your car may have either a receiver/dryer or accumulator, depending on the model of your vehicle. A receiver/dryer is used on vehicles that have a thermal expansion valve. Accumulators are in vehicles that have an orifice tube. The receiver/dryer is responsible for separating gas from liquid.
"

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
So I have a mystery item in front of my radiator. It looks like an A/C Accumulator, but the truck never had A/C from the Factory (Heat only), doesn't have holes in the firewall like any A/C lines were ever installed and by the way the blue electric lines were run, this did not come from the factory (or someone messed with it).
In addition, one blue wire runs to a relay on the firewall and the other is just free floating with a stripped end.
Pics:

...and yes, I'm cleaning up the wires - ignore the mess.
*edit - Accumulator not condenser
Can you take a pic of the entire engine bay and maybe one of the passenger side under the dash?

So far in those pics, I can see a filter/dryer, condensor, and AC lines with an expansion valve going through your firewall right next to the heater hoses that are going through in a non-standard position. You have a GMT-400 coolant expansion tank mounted where the blower motor should be mounted on every squarebody, both AC and non-AC. So best guess would be someone installed an aftermarket AC system on your truck... and it all seems to be there from the pics you have posted so far.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Oh... I just realized why that didn't look right... this is a GMT-400. Why are you asking about it on a squarebody site?

BuiltToWork

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Can you take a pic of the entire engine bay and maybe one of the passenger side under the dash?

So far in those pics, I can see a filter/dryer, condensor, and AC lines with an expansion valve going through your firewall right next to the heater hoses that are going through in a non-standard position. You have a GMT-400 coolant expansion tank mounted where the blower motor should be mounted on every squarebody, both AC and non-AC. So best guess would be someone installed an aftermarket AC system on your truck... and it all seems to be there from the pics you have posted so far.
Mystery solved (dryer) - but here are some additional pics anyways!

BuiltToWork

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Oh... I just realized why that didn't look right... this is a GMT-400. Why are you asking about it on a squarebody site?
Asking because you guys are smart and polite. The knowledge base here is better than any other forum i have been on, even if I don't have a square.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Some kids never played with the correct toys when they were young. That's how this happens.

Attachments

• GMT400.JPG
    GMT400.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 38

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Asking because you guys are smart and polite. The knowledge base here is better than any other forum i have been on, even if I don't have a square.
Well, can't really argue that... although you will likely find more tribal GMT-400 specific stuff on GMT-400.com.

Those pics show you have the AC compressor bracket. I would bet that someone had it going at some point and then had a failure and stripped it back off. You can see the AC expansion valve on the AC lines right where they go through the firewall. I'd maybe start following those lines and see where they go from the firewall. I bet they run across the back of the motor and are either loose or capped off somewhere.

MikeGs1982

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/350
LOL....Was someone talking about the truck, or did they punk you with the sticker on the firewall (see your second picture in your series above the breather, to the left (from the front) of the wiper motor). I did giggle a little bit.....I've call all the emission lines on my 82 that many times.

mshawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10,jimmy,k10
Engine Size
Looks like a previous owner started an A/C installation or removal.
Agreed because behind it is a ac condenser.

BuiltToWork

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
LOL....Was someone talking about the truck, or did they punk you with the sticker on the firewall (see your second picture in your series above the breather, to the left (from the front) of the wiper motor). I did giggle a little bit.....I've call all the emission lines on my 82 that many times.
Yup, I was punked. I parked it on my jobsite when I first bought it and left it unlocked. They got me. Luckily, that wasn't bad - I've seen them pick a car with a AWD forklift (Lull) and set it on top of a conex, then hide the lull keys.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The truck has an aftermarket AC system. Looks like it's all there besides the compressor and manifold line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg