What if any current truck caps will fit squarebodies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t44e6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nobody makes new truck caps for them. Does anyone know if a cap for a different model will fit my 82 longbed without too much trouble? I would be willing to fabricate mounts for it.

Blmpkn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Measure your bed, and call your local cap/cover store. They'll be able to tell you if they have anything close enough to fit.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe all modern truck beds taper to the rear. You will have to find an old one.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm not going to be of much help, but also curious if you figure out a new production canopy that will work.

There is a company in California that produces new, custom built camper shells. Old school wood frame style. Callen Camper I think is there name, but base price starts at 5K

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe all modern truck beds taper to the rear. You will have to find an old one.

Yep. Plus most of the newer models have taller bedsides, which makes the cap shorter in height.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Different models you ask, yes. Back in the 1970's and 80's GM and Ford beds were the same size. Ford (Ferd) cab backs sloped in a little, but a cap made for a Ferd would fit a GM bed fine and not hit the cab.

This is my 1981 long bed GMC trailer with a factory 1977 Ford cap:

You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Different models you ask, yes. Back in the 1970's and 80's GM and Ford beds were the same size. Ford (Ferd) cab backs sloped in a little, but a cap made for a Ferd would fit a GM bed fine and not hit the cab.

A box i bought came with that exact same cap.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

This one was for a Ford I believe, but I presume you wouldnt want one that sits above the cab height for the streamlined nicer look?
They are surprisingly still abundant here in rural wisconsin 50-100 usually gets you one. but we call them toppers and i was quite older before I ever heard of someone using them for camping lols/

if you didnt put a normal trailer axle(I think?) Youd love what using one with a full floater feels like. but based on your chains, what looks like a VIN number, and the reflectors if not also sidemarkers visible, I would think its got trailer brakes ? (that would be nice rip)

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've been looking for a cover of some sort for a few years. I'd really like a softopper, but they are $1,000 new, I'm cheap and haven't found a used one. I'd take a used traditional hard canpoy, but it would have to be a tall canopy @AuroraGirl what you have there is what I would want, and that is so I could fit 55 gallon barrels in it and not have issues with clearance. Here, they are pretty hard to find. Cab height are easy, tall like yours hard to find, which I would need to reduce the number of times I have to remove it. I would take tin only as fiber glass canopies are to heavy for me to get on and off by myself. I've thought about a tonneau cover, because that would at least give me a little dry space and I wouldn't have to remove it like a canopy, when I haul material.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
if you didnt put a normal trailer axle(I think?) Youd love what using one with a full floater feels like. but based on your chains, what looks like a VIN number, and the reflectors if not also sidemarkers visible, I would think its got trailer brakes ? (that would be nice rip)
Yes, titled and the smaller electric trailer brakes. (10 X 2.5)

..... I've thought about a tonneau cover, because that would at least give me a little dry space and I wouldn't have to remove it like a canopy, when I haul material.
Keep in mind, even with a well sealed topper, you still get rain in if you don't seal the tailgate sides and lower edge. When driving the back of the truck is a vacuum area and the rain is drawn in. Even harder to seal a tonneau cover. Yes, stuff is much dryer than no topper.

You want totally dry storage? Get a good saddle box.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I've been looking for a cover of some sort for a few years. I'd really like a softopper, but they are $1,000 new, I'm cheap and haven't found a used one. I'd take a used traditional hard canpoy, but it would have to be a tall canopy @AuroraGirl what you have there is what I would want, and that is so I could fit 55 gallon barrels in it and not have issues with clearance. Here, they are pretty hard to find. Cab height are easy, tall like yours hard to find, which I would need to reduce the number of times I have to remove it. I would take tin only as fiber glass canopies are to heavy for me to get on and off by myself. I've thought about a tonneau cover, because that would at least give me a little dry space and I wouldn't have to remove it like a canopy, when I haul material.
this one is aluminum skin on aluminum frame. its also beat to hell and been around the block haha but 2 things 1) could you get a shorter, wider 55 gallon(Idek) 2) what you should do is setup your facebook to try and alert you for these. here, this size is not as common as normal, BUT they are usually a litttle beat up and often come cheaper. the amount that stands above the cab shakes and dulls the paint etc but they still do good.

I would say if you find one, you could make a spacer to use it with your bed caps you probably could make it a tad taller and still meet the cab lineat front. this one here is from ford, i only see ford ones.

this looks pretty cool. nvm, the one i have might be for GM, that forward tilt seems to magically work there. but mine is slightly more swept back and possibly taller but not much at all if so.

also its weird watching people try to act natural at something they obviously have no idea what to do

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes, titled and the smaller electric trailer brakes. (10 X 2.5)

Keep in mind, even with a well sealed topper, you still get rain in if you don't seal the tailgate sides and lower edge. When driving the back of the truck is a vacuum area and the rain is drawn in. Even harder to seal a tonneau cover. Yes, stuff is much dryer than no topper.

You want totally dry storage? Get a good saddle box.
Id like one with those doors on the back(maybe thats what you mean) that replace the tailgate when inserted

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
A local dealer near me has these, this is pretty cool!

I wanted to see price but you need to get a quote since its commercial

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg