What does this sound like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agers20

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305-V8
Hello all, I have a 1984 c-10, bone stock w a 305. I don't know what type of transmission it has, but it's giving me problems. I drove it back from the mechanic for unrelated issues to the transmission except for having the u-joints replaced, and it drove like crap. I don't have the bed on it, so there's very little weight on the rear end of the truck. But it wouldn't get above 45 mph and it shook like hell every step of the way. It has no traction whatsoever. the trucks idling super high, so you don't need gas when you put it into gear. Whatever you select, it's going to burn out and haul ass up to 45 mph or so. I'm wondering if I need to flush the trans and refill it with the correct fluid because before this time, it had sat in a field for 6 or so years. I'm wondering if it's overfilled with fluid. I think there are multiple issues at play here, but I'd like to sort out the trans so I can at least drive it up and down the road. Also, what is the stock trans type? Thanks for any help!

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If you want to know about what tranny you have drop under and look at the pan. Then Google "identify chevrolet transmission". That should let you know what you have under the truck.

As for running rough and high idle I would check all the basics first off since it was sitting so long ex air, fuel and fire. If those 3 things are good to go start looking at stuck parts that could allow excessive air in at idle. Stuck butterfly or vacuum lines. It shouldn't be to hard to figure that one out.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, you definitely want to go through all the vacuum stuff on it. Anything that fell off or rotted is not gonna help you. Ignition cap and rotor might have corrosion, plugs might be fouled. If it sat a long time, the carb could be in pretty nasty shape inside and need a rebuild.

agers20

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305-V8
the capt/rotor, plugs and wires are brand new. im worried about the vacuum stuff,, some of it's plugged off..

agers20

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305-V8
These are the pictures I took. I can see why it might bind up some as the transmission cross member bolts on the driver's side are missing completely. It's a good 2-3" lower than it should be. I'm going to order some of those today and hopefully have them in soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
for sure you have several issues. you need to pick one thing and start from there. I would bolt up that cross member and get the minimum vacuum working, that would be the vacuum advance and the modulator on the trans, plug the rest. if that doesn't correct the idling high check that next.

the shop didn't offer any insights?

highdesertranger

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
for sure you have several issues. you need to pick one thing and start from there. I would bolt up that cross member and get the minimum vacuum working, that would be the vacuum advance and the modulator on the trans, plug the rest. if that doesn't correct the idling high check that next.

the shop didn't offer any insights?

highdesertranger
I agree on gettin that x member bolted up tight!!! Look how far its off!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My x member was tight but the bolts fell outta my trans mount and damn did that make noise on xcel!

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Hello all, I have a 1984 c-10, bone stock w a 305.... It has no traction whatsoever. the trucks idling super high, so you don't need gas when you put it into gear. Whatever you select, it's going to burn out and haul ass up to 45 mph or so.
Are we being punked?
A stock 305 with vaccum leaks doing burnouts? Let alone a continuous one.

agers20

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305-V8
Are we being punked?
A stock 305 with vaccum leaks doing burnouts? Let alone a continuous one.

I apologize for the severely late reply. maybe I should paint the picture better. It doesn't have a bed on it at the moment. So there's no weight pushing down on it, so it just spins easily and continuously. it shakes, rattles and rolls, and none of those are impressive by any means. I didn't mean to imply it's some hp monster and puts down power.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't order bolts just go to Lowe's or you local hardware store or Tractor Supply Co and buy some grade 8 bolts. Have it done in a few hours total. (Counting going to the store or two).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg