What do I need to do with my floors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Hey all, long story short, I bought carpet for my truck, tore up the old carpet and found bubbling paint and some exposed rust so I beat the devil out of my floors with a scew driver and a hammer and I found some unfortunate news… floors don’t look good after some of my abuse… The whole underbelly of my truck was definitely replaced by a previous owner at some time (I can tell the cab was off), and it looks like the square ledge where the floor mount sets under, was flared away from the pan a bit and held water. So my pans rusted in between the body mount and the floor pan… my question is, these pans are golden for the most part other than this square ledge and the pan on the top side of course. Am I able to cut away the eroded area and just put a partial pan in or do I need to go further and replace this body mount? The underside looks really good overall so I’m not sure how involved this job needs to be? This is not a show truck so I’m not looking to spend a bunch on this if I can help it. Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can cut out whatever you think you need to to make the repair. I can't tell exactly what's rusty from the pics? But I think that's the corner by the side kick panel wall and the floor where it turns up to the firewall. The cab doesn't mount to the frame right there so if all you need is to cut out the rust and weld some new in. You can buy that patch panel and cut out as small or big a piece as needed or just use some flat metal and beat and bend it into position.

Did the previous owner just lay new pans over the old and weld them in? I looks like there is a void in there? Also you need to figure out where the water is getting in . My guess it's through the firewall seam like on most of these trucks.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
You can cut out whatever you think you need to to make the repair. I can't tell exactly what's rusty from the pics? But I think that's the corner by the side kick panel wall and the floor where it turns up to the firewall. The cab doesn't mount to the frame right there so if all you need is to cut out the rust and weld some new in. You can buy that patch panel and cut out as small or big a piece as needed or just use some flat metal and beat and bend it into position.

Did the previous owner just lay new pans over the old and weld them in? I looks like there is a void in there? Also you need to figure out where the water is getting in . My guess it's through the firewall seam like on most of these trucks.

I went ahead and put new pans in both sides after I cut the bad metal out. I was considering putting rockers in it down the road so I figured whatever I do now will probably just get redone when I do the inner and outter rockers. If not, I think my repair will be sufficient for my use. I did POR 15 all the rust and seam seal the perimeter of what I cut out so that it would keep the water from getting trapped in between the panels. The water was not coming into the cab, I never have setting water. It rusted from in between the part that were pieces together. They did not seam seal areas that I personally would have seam sealed.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks good. What were the two pics that were there one looks like welded patches that are painted with por15 and the next one looks like complete pans that use self tappers? Did you do both of those? Cause the first pic is just a rusty looking original looking floor?

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Looks good. What were the two pics that were there one looks like welded patches that are painted with por15 and the next one looks like complete pans that use self tappers? Did you do both of those? Cause the first pic is just a rusty looking original looking floor?
I did not weld and I did not use any self tappers. Everything that had POR 15 was metal that cleaned up good, then I coated it. I riveted the whole pans down after putting seam seal on the perimeters of where I cut out metal so that water does not get trapped from the bottom side as well as the perimeter of the pan inside the cab. I have a feeling that I will be doing rockers fairly soon and would rather not have chopped up pieces so I figured I would rivet it for now so that it’s easier to take out later. The truck has a patina look to it that I kinda like, but I may end up cutting the rockers out soon as they are getting pinholes in them and know it’s just a matter of time.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is what nightmares are made from.
Buying a truck with this repair is definitely a fear of mine.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

my gpa fixed not having a door on the side with gas tank by peeling open the wheel tub and wiring up the filler to go that way.

he would defintly do the nightmare stuff lOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl