What Did You Do For Edelbrock ATV Cable 79 K20

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by mrburitto, Nov 6, 2018.

1. mrburitto

mrburitto Full Access Member

First Name:
    Cody
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20 Cheyenne Camper Special
    Engine Size:
    Hey guys,

Im trying to get my automatic transmission cable connected to my Edelbrock 1411 but the bracket I got doesn't seem to work. The one I ordered is #8036 and it does say for 78 and earlier but it looked right so I figured I could make it work. Seems like the cable is just a little too short or sitting too far back with this bracket. Called Jeggs to see if they could tell me what I need and they just said I need to replace the whole cable with one that is custom fitted. I don't want to believe that so I was wondering how you guys set up your Edelbrock on a 79-82 with automatic trans. I have some spare aluminum here I was thinking about using to make my own. I don't have a welding rig though so i can only bend, cut, and fasten if you have any ideas. Also running out of money and need to get her on the road lol.

20181106_124308.jpg 20181106_124350.jpg

2. dvdswan

dvdswan Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    Never had an auto trans, but shouldn't it connect on the lower portion? you may need to a 1" screw and 3 nuts, one to tighten the screw to the bracket and 2 tightened against each other to allow the TV cable to slide. something like a 6-32 or 8-32 screw.

3. highdesertrange

highdesertrange Full Access Member

First Name:
    mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k30
    Engine Size:
    I have always used the factory bracket. cut off the passenger side so it fits. the one bolt and round smooth stud is enough to hold it in place. if you don't think that's enough put a extender bar in and weld the pieces back together. highdesertranger

4. 78c10bigten

78c10bigten Full Access Member

First Name:
    ted
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10 BIG TEN
    Engine Size:
    I have an eddy 1406 and th350 but i didnt run into this issue. I did however custom fab a bracket for for the throttle cable and cruise to pull from. Yours looks a little suspect to me...

5. MikeB

MikeB Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    What kind of transmission? There's a huge difference between setting up a TH350 "kickdown" cable vs. a 700R4 "throttle valve" cable. Improper setup of the 700R4 cable can cause transmission to failure.

But for both transmissions, the cable connects to the bottom of the lever. For a 700R4 TV cable, you will need a special lever bracket for the proper geometry. It simply bolts onto the stock lever.